New Christmas Display Layout this year

Started by ryeguyisme, April 28, 2010, 05:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

yes it is summer, and by that it's usually when I start preparing for big projects like these:

Last year's layout in HO:

^you'll notice the kitbashed Athearn mike with a hudson boiler(to be brought up in another topic in the future as I do have construction photos)

Youtube vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl-aZrcNUGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_QdRs4DZ90

Well considering the extent of how delicate HO is and the amount of maintenance as well as upkeep i have to do during the show at the local park(not to mention kids prying hands and the like) I have come to conclusions that this year I'm attempting a different approach where I will be using my unused excess of Lionel Post-war trains and track to some good use(not to mention I've been a bit of an Ebay addict lately buying alot of parts and locomotives and sets) and I've wanted to do the American flyer Rochester Department Store Layout ever since I saw it in person in a New Haven S gaugers Train Show(for a show that small I came home with huge ideas) Heres the actual layout on video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KJVCUnuoE4

A photo Album featuring the layout:
http://myflyertrains.org/gallery/DepartmentStore

The American flyer Track plan:

Now looking at curves and how tight they are with lionel, I've discovered that I can do the same layout in less space!!! In a 8' X 12' track plan.

My rough draft:

(the funny thing in high school was I always drew up track plans instead of doing my work :) but I aced my geometry class and my shop classes way ahead of my peers, so it has it's benefits)

That's my rough draft, I'm debating on what to put in those empty spaces alotted as well as the nice 2'X 8' emptiness on the bottom(turntable and yard possibly?) The controls will be in the lower left corner.

Tell me guys what your opinions are, and what I should/might add to this :)

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Joe Satnik

Dear RGIM,

Looks nice.

How will you reach tracks further than an arm's length (~2 ft.) from the edge?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear RGIM,

How will you avoid overhang crashes?

Your track centers (center-line to center-line distances between adjacent tracks) appear to be 3" on the left side. 

That is much less than recommended by the NMRA: 

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

ryeguyisme

Thank you,

well technically speaking those are really tight curves for O guage but considering I'm not necessarily shooting for realism and these things can take a 12" radius, I'm trying to broaden the curves where people will see most of the action. And as far as "arms distance" we have a fence that can keep them back a ways, and even so I doubt a 4 yr old is going to make it past the fence and be able to derail a 5 pound locomotive when the operator(me) is going to e right there.

But thank you for your concerns

Joe Satnik

RGIM,

Perhaps I should re-phrase:

How will you reach (trains derailed on) tracks further than your arm's length (~2 ft.) from the edge?

If you want a nice demonstration of overhang crashes, set up a circle of Marx track, which is O-27 profile O-34. 

Set up a circle of O-27 inside it.  Put some of your longer locos and cars on each of the tracks and try to run them past each other. 

The distance between track centers is (34"-27")/2 = 3-1/2", which is 1/2" more generous than the curves on the left side of your layout.

I have some old Marx O-34 that I would send to you for postage costs. 

I'm not sure that I have a full circle, but a few will be sufficient to demonstrate overhang crashes.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   

Joe323

Nice Looking Layout.

Joe

I use a long grabber (the kind they sell in drug stores to reach trains that are more than two feet away My layout is also modular in case i need to do more than that.

Joe Satnik

RGIM,

I do have a full circle of Marx O-34 (8 curve sections).   

Yours for postage. Use Personal Message.   

Joe Satnik

ryeguyisme

I'm actually going to be bending the rail by hand since I have such an extensive stock of lionel track on me, but thank you for the offer :)

In case I have to adjust measurements due to clearance issues and the like, I always leave a little lee-way of sorts for anything I do, that way if any changes are needed I can adjust as see fit.

I doubt there will be any derailments but the way the portable bench-work is designed I can literally walk on it if need be.

And again thank you, I've be on my toes then just plain enthusiastic, it helps in case I become impractical but my skill level has developed due to trial and error as well as this new idea cooking.

I am thinking about adding a fourth upper loop and a yard and engine facility for kicks in the back

J3a-614

Howdy, Rye;

Been a bit busy on a couple of other threads lately, but I've still been watching out to see how the 34 was coming. . .

Are you familiar with this product line?  It's tubular or hollow track like Lionel and I think it's compatable with it, it's available as flex track, and it's old school (the company has been around since 1940)--maybe it's something you can use:

http://www.gargraves.com/home.html

Glad to see you're keeping busy.

ryeguyisme

I've rather just take the existing track I have and modify it so I don't have to do any needless spending(not that I have lately anyways ::) hahaha)

and as far as #34 is concerned I will resume at a later date when I've worked up enough drive to give it another go but thanks for your concern :)

J3a-614

pipefitter

Quote from: J3a-614 on May 05, 2010, 08:20:27 AM
Came across this, and thought it mighty provide a bit of seasonal inspiration; enjoy:

Nice videos and that's a handsome Mike! Nothing like steam in the snow :D Thanks!

Robert

PS what happened to that reefer full of cheese? ???
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

ryeguyisme

Thank you J3a, I've seen those videos they're bone chilling due to the high quality, I have my tendencies to watch these vids occasionally

Robert, much thanks, my only problem with that locomotive is the jumpy front pilot ???

I will post modified Lionel engines that I've built from carcasses and other parts that I continue to acquire, like a 2055, 2018, 1664, (I have 2 1666's on the way in the mail some of the parts have already arrived), an MPC-era Lionel 0-4-0 modified, and 2 modern lionel 4-4-2's, one I'm searching for an MPC-era boiler for from an 8142 because I prefer the look of that boiler. I was hoping to grab a berk chassis to make a mike but darn, those engines are well sought after :-[

ryeguyisme

Hey guys,

just an update from my previous post

with an updated layout concept:

An update on the engines currently on hand(have two more coming from ebay auctions):

^No. 2046 and 2056 Hudsons being the pride of the fleet

^Some prewar/postwar/modern engines

And I just bought an MPC Hudson:

and awaiting another Adriatic in the mail:

So as far as engines are concerned I'm all set, along with some williams and lionel polar express heavyweight coaches and a bunch of freight cars.

With about 4 months remaining, the next step is to buy 4 X 8 plywood, I figure 3 sheets of 3/4 inch and one sheet of 1/4 inch for the elevated parts.

I'm going to get some cork or foam roadbed so the noise level is kept to a minimal, don't wanna here the roar of lionel trains over santa's voice now do we? ;)