New Christmas Display Layout this year

Started by ryeguyisme, April 28, 2010, 05:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

also, anyone have any ideas for a substitution for cork roadbed that may be cheap/an every-day house hold product?

jonathan

The vast majority of my layout has cork roadbed.  However, on some raised portions, I have used 1/4" presswood, a cheap plywood it you will.  A 4' X 8' sheet is about $5 US.  That makes allot of roadbed.  You will have to cut it to size and shape.  It accepts track nails very well and is sturdy enough to support the track and trains that pass over it.  Disadvantage is the lack of 45 degree angle that cork roadbed gives you.  I covered that up with heavy scenery (a mountainside).  I also scratchbuilt an elevated viaduct/bridge using paintsticks as the support for the track (free).  This type of roadbed must be very secure before you lay track.  When you ballast, be aware of the dampness that will be caused temporarily while the ballast dries.

That being said, cork roadbed still seems to be the better choice for ease of use, attractiveness and economy.  Just an opinion.

Regards,

Jonathan

ryeguyisme

Jonathan, I think I found what I thought I might use is my endless supply of cut up foam board scraps i got from the high schools around here, its 1/4" thick and I tested it as far as noise reduction and it was superb

more photos:

ryeguyisme

:)More updates:

^using scraps of foamboard for roadbed

^putting in wooden ties to add some novelty

I figure I start working on the over-and-under inner loop because it proves to be more difficult to do the final installation when the other loops are done

J3a-614

Hello, Rye,

Glad the foam material worked out for your roadbed.

Finally got around to looking at your video clip, and I noticed it looks like your are running three trains on one track circuit, with some sort of automatic stopping system to keep them apart.  What are you using, and by any chance is it adaptable to 2-rail HO?

ryeguyisme

Quote from: J3a-614 on July 31, 2010, 11:15:39 AM
Hello, Rye,

Glad the foam material worked out for your roadbed.

Finally got around to looking at your video clip, and I noticed it looks like your are running three trains on one track circuit, with some sort of automatic stopping system to keep them apart.  What are you using, and by any chance is it adaptable to 2-rail HO?

It's an outer loop, and an inner second loop with two trains on the same circuit, now I came across this track clip, that goes to lionel 151 (accessory) and I have wired it so the first train hit an insulated gap in the track and stops, until the second train reaches the activating track clip and activates power using its 'weight' that provides power to the insulted gap, and the first train starts up and goes about while the second train approaches the gap and stops until the first train activates it.

its traffic control but it makes the layout look alot busier than it really seems and it provides more activity for the viewer watching  instead of the trains always going around and around in a circle, and my father came up with a point that what if I had one of the other loops doing the same thing, and I am thinking about it, and will consider it but I need to get going on relaying with roadbed/ties before i do anything else.

And I was originally going to do this in HO  as a matter of fact but it has little prototypical operation and the layout design is strictly for mostly running than operation but I believe you might squeeze something in there haha, I just happen to have wayyyy to much lionel and no use for it, so I decided why not build a christmas layout instead, at least that way the Lionel locomotives are built to run on forever and the HO engines are far too delicate and require a lot more maintenance and care. At least with the Lionel/Williams rolling stock I have I have a lot less to worry about prying hands than I would for the HO

more to come keep posted everyone!! :D

jonathan

fieromike

For those of you that are using the white foam on your layout: be aware that the stuff is flammable!  The pink/blue foam will also burn as long as you hold a flame to it, but the white foam will continue to burn after you remove the ignition source.
If you don't believe me, take a sample piece of each type outside (near the garden hose) and hold your lighter or a match under it.  DON'T breathe the fumes!

m

ryeguyisme

Quote from: fieromike on August 01, 2010, 08:31:27 AM
For those of you that are using the white foam on your layout: be aware that the stuff is flammable!  The pink/blue foam will also burn as long as you hold a flame to it, but the white foam will continue to burn after you remove the ignition source.
If you don't believe me, take a sample piece of each type outside (near the garden hose) and hold your lighter or a match under it.  DON'T breathe the fumes!

m

I remember hearing something about the ingredients in styrofoam being the same components used for napalm, but then again I'm using foam'board' which is more plastic-like than the foam but I doubt I'll be burning it haha

ryeguyisme

now for another update, I did some landscaping of sorts:

before:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I also just started working on the other half of the inner loop just barely making it into a O31 radius going down:

A Closer shot at the gradient with the final slope look to it:

ryeguyisme

heres another update for you guys ;D :D ;) ::) :o ;D :) ;)

A nice youtube video of the now completed  middle line along with how its suppose to operate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8KHWMWPOw

jonathan

Nice.

I can see it in a Macy's Display window, bringing joy to everyone who passes.

So....

Where does the tree go?  ;D

R,

J

pipefitter

Quote from: jonathan on August 06, 2010, 04:10:40 PM
I can see it in a Macy's Display window, bringing joy to everyone who passes ...

Yes it takes me back to when Dad would take me downtown (Washington DC) to see the trains and displays in the Woodward & Lothrop department store windows. Then on to Superior Lock & Key Co. which transformed itself into a Lionel wonderland each Christmas. Not very fancy but I remember bins full of used track and switches and other parts. Used rolling stock and accessories, each year we would get a "new" car and perhaps some other goodies :D

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

J3a-614

Zowie!  With all that action, you'll have a hit with the kids, and you're not done yet!  Watch out for the parents, though, they'll want to kill you when the kids ask for one just like it for Christmas!

Then again, maybe the dads will want one too, "for the kids."

ryeguyisme

Quote from: J3a-614 on August 06, 2010, 11:26:44 PM
Zowie!  With all that action, you'll have a hit with the kids, and you're not done yet!  Watch out for the parents, though, they'll want to kill you when the kids ask for one just like it for Christmas!

Then again, maybe the dads will want one too, "for the kids."

haha that sounds exactly like what might happen haha, I'm always prepared to steer people to our local hobby shop in New Britain CT which just happens to be right in the old American Flyer factory, so it's pretty neat, plus I know the owner and his prices are very good

I tend to show my dad occasionally hoping to have him get the 'bug' again as well as the christmas present(s) I've bought/buying him this year