News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Sidings

Started by geoff, April 28, 2010, 05:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

I am trying to make up a medium length point to point "break down" test track with a single or double ended parallel siding using EZ Track? Apparently, there is nothing "easy" about the seemingly common task of bringing a track out of a switch and running it parallel to the main? Parallel sidings should be no big deal and I have been eyeing one or two EZ Track #6 turnouts for my siding. After spending a lot of time on line, on the Bachmann site and on this forum,  I was amazed that I could find no satisfactory answer? I read a lot of opinions and suggestions, "part of a 22" radius" or "part of a 26"" radius and even a suggestion of "part of an 18" radius?" On a #6 switch? Right? From what I have read here, there is no information in the Bachmann track book either? So Mr. Bachmann or any one else who really knows? What parts do I need to buy to assemble my siding? I would settle for a single ended but would prefer a double ended if possible?

pdlethbridge

An alternative would be to use an atlas switch and flex track on cork roadbed where you need it. Scenery would cover it and no one will know.

geoff

That is really not an option for a "break down" test track that can be set up anywhere there is a flat surface. On my main layout I use nothing but flex track and good quality switches on cork or Homosote. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Joe Satnik

Dear Goeff,

Here is free track software with an HO EZ-Track library (if you want to experiment):

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Just remember that the (2" and smaller) fitter track assortment is not yet available, though you can get four 2" straights as part of the 90 degree crossing.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

geoff

Hello Joe,
Thanks for the tip! I just got through playing with the software a bit. It really is kind of cool! According to what I can determine using the software, a half 26"R or a half 28"R would be pretty close? However, Bachman does not make such an animal unless I just cant find it? The one third 18"R appears to come the closest to providing a parallel track but and 18"R used with a #6 switch is a bit counter productive.

Thanks again!

Joe Satnik

Hey Geoff,

You're welcome.  I had previously asked for a curve to take the #6 back to parallel, knowing that one was needed. 

If you click on the end of a piece of track, AnyRail will tell you its departure angle. For the #6 turnout, AnyRail claims that the divergent route is 9.46 degrees more than the through route end.

I suppose you could cut a chunk out the middle of a 26"R, 28"R, 33.25"R or 35.5"R curve section to leave the ends totaling 9.46 degrees (of arc) and glue and solder the ends back together.

Don't know if they'll release one some day...again, it's something that we do need. 

Tried a #6 double ended siding with 18"R-10 degree pieces on AnyRail.  Looks like we would need a 6-1/8" fitter straight to complete it.  I suppose two 3" straights would get it close.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

geoff

Joe,

The partial 18"R does come the closest but using an 18R on a #6 switch seems a little absurd? I just can't imagine how Bachmann could not have seen this coming? It is a very common requirement for any mainline passing siding where large motive power and rolling stock is used? To me there is not much point in offering a #6 switch that can't be brought back to parallel the mainline? Cutting out a chunk in the middle of an 26R or 28R and then soldering and gluing back together could be done but why bother? Just use different track!

Geoff

geoff

Bachmann is over all doing a great job for the hobby and I own many of their locomotives so please don't misunderstand what I am saying? I only offer this as a suggestion to make their product better! Just out of curiosity I just went to a competator's web site to see how they handle their #6 switch (turnout) with their track system? The possibiliies are impresive! For example, they sell special track pieces for the #6 that not only brings it back to parellel with the mainline but also makes both ends of the turnout end up being the same length! This allows a double ended siding with the same number of straight sections on both sections of track between the turnouts. This sort of kills two birds with one stone! Bachmann has been very inovative but this is one time it would be to their benifit and ours for them to look at what the competition is doing?

Joe Satnik

Geoff,

Do you own a #6 HO EZ-Track turnout?

Joe Satnik

geoff

Joe,

Yes I just purchased a DCC #6 on eBay for a great price! I have enough EZ track to make an oval with 22"R curves and about 20 pieces of straight track. I have been using some of the straight track as a test and programming track that can be broke down and moved along with my NCE Power Cab DCC system. I thought the passing siding would be nice to park a few locomotives on. Large motive power can be a pain to put back on the track with all the wheels and older eyes.

My main layout, in the early stages, is about 18ft x 32ft. It is in a room in my daylight basement and uses flex track and high grade turnouts on cork and Homosote. I have a NCE Pro Cab Radio with two 5 amp boosters for use on this layout.

This situation with the #6 is not an earth shattering problem for me but it is annoying. I felt is was something worth discussing for the group in general. I am disappointed that Bachmann did not take this into consideration when their main rival has handled these situation admirably. It just goes to show that you can't assume anything no matter how obvious it may seem? I guess I will just sell the #6?

I want to thank everyone for their input but until Bachmann decides to deal with this, I see no viable solution for those who want to use EZ track?

Geoff

Joe Satnik

Dear Geoff,

Can you make a few (3) measurements for me?

The sharp part of the frog and the inside rails beyond the frog form a small "V". 

Can you please measure as precisely as you can (within 1/32"? or half mm?)

the lengths of both legs from the point of the V to the ends of the 2 legs,

plus the gap across the ends of the 2 legs (the top of the V). 

Measure the gap to the wheel flange sides of the top of the inside rails.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

geoff

Joe,
I would be happy to just as soon as it arrives! I got it from the Favorite Spot on eBay and I was just holding out to see what else I needed to buy to make it work? I will get you the information as soon as I receive it!
Geoff

Michigan Railfan

If I'm not mistaken, a 22" radius curve would make your siding parallel with a #6 turnout.  I have a small yard, and did my best to make it as parallel as possible, without using 18" radius curves (I only use 22" curves).  It didn't work very well, but since standard Bachmann turnouts (like the ones that come in sets) are equivalent to an 18" radius curve, I had to end up putting a 1/4th of an 18" curve there, and then a 22" curve, which made it parallel.  So, it depends what a #6 turnout is equivalent to, but if it were equivalent to a 22" curve, then I'm pretty sure you would just need a 22" curve there to make it parallel.
Hope this helps.

ABC

A #6 turnout is not equivalent to any radius track. And just in case you were wondering, #4 turnouts, #5 turnouts, and #8 turnouts do not have any equivalent radius track either.

geoff

I believe you are mistaken? A full 22R piece is 22.5 degrees of arc and a 1/2 22R is 11.25 degrees. The EZ track #6 needs somewhere between 9 and 9.5 degrees of arc to run parallel! The EZ track 26R, 28R, 33.25R and 35.5R are all 18 degrees per piece. A half size piece of any of these would provide 9 degrees or arc! However, Bachmann make none of these in half sizes!