News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrade of OLD Bachman 2-8-0 Consolidated

Started by Flyer, April 27, 2010, 05:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

My OLD Bachman 2-8-0 has a dummy (NON-USABLE) coupler firmly attached (molded in) in front.  With the new 2-8-0 that is being advertised by Bachman now, is there any part of the new one
that would or could replace the front end of my OLD 2-8-0 so it would have a usable coupler and could be used as a yard engine??

Nigel

Most of us just get out the drills, knifes and styrene, cut a hole, and fabricate something that will hold a Kadee coupler box in the hole.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

OldTimer

For starters, take a pair of needle nose pliers and see if you can pull the existing coupler out of the pilot.  The Kadee 30 series couplers are great for mounting in tight spots.  Good luck!
Just workin' on the railroad.

Jim Banner

May I suggest two other modifications?  One is to turn your Consolidation into an 0-8-0 switcher by removing the pony truck.  The other is to remove the pilot ("cow catcher") and replace it with a switcher pilot.  This can be as simple at two strips of styrene joined at a right angle to form a buffer and foot board.  A hand rail across the top of the buffer for the switchman to hang onto would be a good addition.  I suspect changing the pilot would also make adding a front coupler an easier job.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Flyer

Thanks, Jim, OldTimer and Nigel for your replies.  Somewhere within them I will come up with a more usable 2-8-0 Consolidation ( Please note that I got the name right this time and thanks too, for not scolding me for using the incorrect name !)  Cheers to all !