News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoder for ...

Started by full maxx, April 30, 2010, 09:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

I assume it is possible to add a decoder to the rear/dummy engine of the Acela Express...I guess you cut the wires that go from the wheels to the lights and use them to power the decoder then hook the lights to the appropriate leads...forward/backward then program the decoder on the same number as the powered engine so the lights will be properly directional...yes or no?
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Tylerf

Actually it's much easier, the dummy unit also has the board with the 8-pin plug on it. So no cutting is required, just plug in the decoder!

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Tylerf

Oh really, that's odd? Well then I guess yeah your right, or to save a decoder you could run wires through the entire train...not easy though. Or I just simply let it run from the tracks, I don't care about a few lights enough to put a $30 decoder in to control either the markers or the headlights... But that's just me!

full maxx

got a decoder off ebay for 12.00 so I'm gonna try...I'll let ya'll know how it goes

Jim Banner

If faced with the problem again, consider a "function only" decoder such as the Digitrax TL-1.  I often use outdated 2 digit decoders for passenger car lighting, but the TL-1 is the deluxe way to go - in addition to on/off, it does stobe, fred, etc. and has both 2 and 4 digit addressing.  Less than half the $30 Tylerf was worried about and available in a quad version for only a couple of dollars more.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.