News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K27 Flywheel Problem

Started by Udo, May 01, 2010, 08:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Udo

Hello together !

Yesterday I found a problem with my "old" K27.
During running forward, the left side marker light started blinking irregularly. The marker lights were not switched on.
When driving backwards, no problem.
After removing the boiler I found the reason:

In the boiler, just over the flywheel is a PC board which is connected with a plug and a lot of cables going there.

That harnish was too close to the flywheel so that it scratched on the cables and damaged them already.
I just made a "half pipe" of thin plastic material, fixed with the motor bracket to cover the top of the flywheel and keep the cables away from it.
Now it's OK.
I must check my second K27...

This is a warning to K27 owners...
Have a look, that you don't meet that kind of problem with your beautiful engine !

Enjoy it running !

Udo

Barry BBT

Udo,

If it was easy I would tell you to throw the flywheel away, it does nothing.

I experimented with them more than ten years ago (larger than is on the K-27) and made now difference in anything the
loco did.

They worked on HO and O, but not here.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

StanAmes

Barry

The flywheel greatly improves the back emf characteristics of the motor.  If you are looking for fine motor control it is a very iportant feature.

Stan Ames

Udo

Hello together!
The problem is not the flywheel itself. I only wantad to show, that there is a risk in the K27, that this wheel touches the cables, which are coming / going from / to the PC board upside in the boiler.
It is only to avoid more serious electrical problems.
Udo