News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locolinc or AirWireExperiences?

Started by walrii, May 02, 2010, 12:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walrii

We are building a small, outdoor, G-scale layout - 120' of track, two engines maximum.  We have one engine now, a Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0.  We will run battery power with radio control.  We are looking either the AirWire or Locolinc system. 

I've read several reviews on the AirWire system.  They have two receivers, the new G2 and an older model.  Anyone have pros and cons for one vs the other?

I haven't found many reviews of the Locolinc system.  Anyone used this setup?

Thanks.

mudhen

I use Air Wire and I have not been disappointed, They are always improving and are adding new boards to interact with there decoders to work in many manufactures engines and work well with Phoenix Sound Systems.  They also have excellent repair and support services.
As for loco-link.....I don't know much about it, other than one of my local g-gauge dealers who use to sell it, has removed it from his store.

Loco Bill

If you havent done it yet, click on the search button and type in "locolinc"  and you will get some comments on locolinc.

I use it and it works fine, but it may need an antenna booster in some situations.  I also use Aristocrafts new Revolution and it is great too
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Kevin Strong

The G2 receiver is Airwire's latest and greatest, and has more features than their original one. (I don' t know if it's superseded the original one or if they're both still in production.) Of particular note on the G2 is their "cruise control," which works to keep the speed of the locomotive constant regardless of grade or load. I've not seen one in operation to see how it works, but those who have installed it seem to like it a lot. I don't know that Locolink has that functionality, but I haven't looked at their specific features in quite some time.

Between the two systems, my preference would be for the Airwire--and that's pretty much based on user interface. I like the knob to control the speed of the trains as opposed to just pushbuttons. My dad uses the Airwire/Phoenix sound combination, and has been quite pleased with it. I've used it when running on his railroad and didn'have any issues. If you're shopping for systems, you might also look at Aristo's Revolution or the QSI/G-wire(made by Airwire)/NCE ProCab combination. I reviewed both of these systems, and prefer them both to Airwire--not for any functionality of one over the other, but simply because I find the user interfaces to be more in line with what I'm personally looking for in a controller. The Revolution doesn't have a knob, but it does have a graphic display that shows where your throttle is set. The NCE controller has a thumbwheel and a numerical display to show where your throttle is set. I like being able to look at the controller and instantly see which direction you're going and how much throttle you're giving the locomotive.

In terms of actually controlling the trains--i.e., how they actually run, ease of installation, etc., all the systems being discussed are nominally equal. Some can do higher-end functions that others can't but in terms of addressing individual locomotives and getting them to move independently of others on the same transmitter, they'll all work for you.

Later,

K