News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Uncoupling

Started by Michael T., May 03, 2010, 06:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael T.

Does anyone know an easy way to uncouple two fright cars without using any type of "special" tools?
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

NarrowMinded

Not sure what scale you have but I use an old chop stick on my g scale and a cheap magnet/pickup tool for magnetic couplers the pickup tool I'd just a magnet on the end of an antenna they are cheap at autoparts stores
NM

Jim Banner

Hey Micheal T., when I have to uncouple two fright cars, I prefer to use a tool, a very, very long one. :D

As for freight cars, it depends on what kind of couplers it has which in turn depends in part on the scale.  With Kadees or Kadee type couplers, I often just lift the end of one car straight up far enough to clear the other car's coupler, pull the other car out of the way, then drop the car straight down.  For LGB type hook and loop couplers, I slide a strip of styrene between the two and pull the cars apart.  A strip of styrene weights nothing and takes up no room in a pocket.  For large scale Bachmann and Aristo-Craft couplers, I use a finger to push up the buttons on the bottom.  For MARX cars, I push them together, flick the little tab on the side of the leaf couplers, then pull the cars apart.  And for NMRA X2f couplers, I just beat on the cars with a hammer until either the coupler breaks off or the freight car breaks in two.

Jim
(the one who is not a fan of X2f couplers.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Michael T.

I am running HO scale.

pdlethbridge

I always used a small thin bladed screw driver to separate the Kadees

mf5117

I usually pick them straight up as jim said . Or if i have a long string of cars. I took a tooth pick and sanded the end to resemble a small flat blade screw driver . Slip between the couplers and give a small twist . Also Micro-mark makes a good HO decoupling tool ...

NarrowMinded

I up loaded a short video to photobucket showing how I use the magnetic pickup tool to uncouple HO couplers for anyone that is interested just search narrowmindedrr at photobucket, I'd post a link but my computers down and I am using my iPhone to post Here.

NM
PS these mags attached to antenna are around one dollar at auto parts
Stores

CNE Runner

Mike - Get yourself down to Wal-Mart and pick up a bag of 10" bamboo skewers that would be used for shish ke-bab (I had to look up the spelling on this term). These come in a package of 100; so you will want to include them in your will for future generations.

Here is the secret to their use: 1) push the two cars to be uncoupled together so that some slack is produced in their adjourning couplers [no always a necessary step...depends], 2) insert your Chinese skewer [I mean Oriental Manual Uncoupling Device or OMUC...pronoumced "O - Mack"] between the couplers, 3) twist the skewer clockwise and voila...the couplers come apart. Skewers are cheap and utterly reliable (magnetic uncoupling devices are not). As an added bonus you can use the 'butt end' of the skewer to throw the points on Peco turnouts.

Oh, I have heard that some folks actually use these things for cooking...imagine that.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Michael T.

Joe323

Mike - Get yourself down to Wal-Mart and pick up a bag of 10" bamboo skewers that would be used for shish ke-bab (I had to look up the spelling on this term). These come in a package of 100; so you will want to include them in your will for future generations.

Here is the secret to their use: 1) push the two cars to be uncoupled together so that some slack is produced in their adjourning couplers [no always a necessary step...depends], 2) insert your Chinese skewer [I mean Oriental Manual Uncoupling Device or OMUC...pronoumced "O - Mack"] between the couplers, 3) twist the skewer clockwise and voila...the couplers come apart. Skewers are cheap and utterly reliable (magnetic uncoupling devices are not). As an added bonus you can use the 'butt end' of the skewer to throw the points on Peco turnouts.

Oh, I have heard that some folks actually use these things for cooking...imagine that.

Ray
Posted by: NarrowMinded 

I tried it works but takes a little practice

NarrowMinded

Do
You mean tried what I posted? The sure fire way is to let the little mag set
On the ground and then slide it up to the rail, then back the coupler up to
It just like you would with a regular magnetic uncoupler

NM

Doneldon

I've had great results with an uncoupler made by, I think, Rix.  It is lowercase h shaped, with a very tall left side.  It has a small magnet on the inside of each leg.  You put the tool between the cars you wish to uncouple, with the legs straddling the couplers, which open and voila! you're separated.

--D

CNE Runner

Joe - The skewer method is very easy to learn...probably 10 minutes of practice and you are an expert. D - I have used the Rix magnetic uncoupling tool many times in the past with good results. I guess I am just used to using the skewer method (on a mini layout one uncouples many, many times during a operating session).

About the only type of uncoupling that I haven't been satisfied with is the Kadee Magne-Matic uncouplers. I find they don't work all that well and frequently cause false uncouplings...great concept though. About 4 years ago I visited a large club layout and was amazed to see everyone using skewers! Apparently they had so much trouble with their installed magnetic uncouplers that they decided to subscribe to the KISS principle and got rid of them - in favor of skewers. Ah, simplicity.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Joe323

Joe - The skewer method is very easy to learn...probably 10 minutes of practice and you are an expert. D - I have used the Rix magnetic uncoupling tool many times in the past with good results. I guess I am just used to using the skewer method (on a mini layout one uncouples many, many times during a operating session).

Actually Thats about what it took me to learn the skewer method which works for me because my staging yard is within arms reach.  However as I add more sidings etc I will need a remote system.  I'm going to address this issue Saturday when I go to visit my LHS.

OldTimer

False uncouplings with Kadee magnets can be a problem.  In my N-scale days, I learned to put a small spring on the end of one axle of each caboose.  The spring provided enough drag to keep the slack from bunching in the train.  That should work with HO as well. 

Another solution is to use the Kadee electromagnetic uncoupler on main lines.  It only magnetizes when manually activated.

In the tool realm, I remember a few years ago that some of the guys were swearing by McDonalds coffee stirers.  They are a bright color so they're easy to see, don't cost anything, and require only minimal work with a file or a sand paper to get just the right shape. 
Just workin' on the railroad.