News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minimum Curve

Started by Simbo1, May 04, 2010, 10:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simbo1

I am looking at a set of Williams O 15" 6 wheel silhouette passenger coaches.  They appear to be from either a starter set or a low-end price point set of coaches in Pennsy road name (there are four of them).  Would anyone be able to help me find out what the minimum curve is?

phillyreading

I would say to use 031 curves as a minimum curve. If they feel very light or are made of plastic with non-operating couplers you will need to add some weight to keep the passenger cars on the track, they may have weights inside but they are not heavy enough for those passenger cars. If the second wheel is plastic in the six wheel set-up that may spell shelf kings!
There is one other thing you can do and that is to replace the old truck assemblies wioth heavier ones.

Unfortunately some of the starter set passenger cars from about 12 years ago are not of good track handling quality. I have the Reading Company "King Coal" passenger cars that won't stay on the track, it is a set of six passenger cars with non-operating couplers.

Lee F.

Mike_AA9ZY

I have the 60 foot aluminum Rock Island passenger cars and they are certainly heavy enough! They glide through my O-45 curves very smoothly.

I haven't run them on the O-31 curves yet.

phillyreading

Most of the Williams passenger cars unless over 16 inches each in length should be able to run on 031 curves with no problems.
If they have operating couplers and weigh just over 1.5 pounds they should handle 031 curves very well, some passsenger cars may work with 027 as well.
Most of the newer passenger cars have little if any problems. It was the older(15 to 20 year old) passenger cars made by Williams(before Bachmann) that had problems.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

AA9ZY:

CQ:

Your RI cars should run on 31 OK

DominicMazoch, N5TCB

Mike_AA9ZY

N5TCB: QSL

I think it's time WBB brought those Rock Island passenger cars back, and the Rock Island E-7 engines.

Hey Dom, we'll have to have an hf qso sometime!

73 de AA9ZY

DominicMazoch

AA9ZY:

Which RI?  golden State, or some other RI Livery?

Mike_AA9ZY

Golden State I think. I'll have to grab an old Williams catalog. Nice looking cars and my only passenger cars - so far.

DominicMazoch

Don't have HF up yet, except for TMCC (Train content)  Doing Field Day?

phillyreading

Quote from: Mike_AA9ZY on May 18, 2010, 06:12:32 PM
Golden State I think. I'll have to grab an old Williams catalog. Nice looking cars and my only passenger cars - so far.

Just before K-Line got devoured by Lionel they had a set of Golden State passenger cars and a diesel engine to match.
I don't remember Williams ever having a set of Golden State passenger cars, but I could be wrong. Only been around Williams for about 7 or 8 years.

Lee F.