News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Consolidation

Started by Terry611, May 04, 2010, 06:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry611

Has there been a revision/update to the gearbox on the Connie? I ask because I've stripped two gears out, the last one after less than ten hours running.
I use the engine at shows our group, the Wisconsin Garden Railway Society participates in. This means that the engine in question runs on a level inside oval with 20' radius curves, pulling 8 to 10 cars at a moderate speed.
The first time I replaced the gear I missed seeing the shaft the first nylon gear rides on, the one that strips, is very loose on both ends where it mates to the gearbox halves. I believe this looseness is what causes the gear to strip out. The motor is solidly mounted to the gearbox and the screws in the gearbox are tight. I LOVE this engine but I'm tired of replacing gears.

Barry BBT

Terry,

The gears can be repaired.  I have taken gears in as many as three pieces and repaired them.  First you'll need a piece of brass tubing which fits around the the gear hub.  Cut two slices about 1/8" thick.  Mix a small batch of JB Weld (not the 5 Minute stuff).  With the pieces of the gear placed properly, fill the hollow around the hub and below the gear.  Press the brass tubing slices into the epoxy, turn the gear over and repeat on the second side.  Clean up the epoxy which is "unsightly".  Let it dry over night.  The next day you should get a good press onto the splines on the axle.  I have assumed this gear has not lost any of it's teeth.

OR:

I am making a Pittman motor and gearbox kit to up grade the Connie.  The first batch is sold out and I am starting on the second batch, this week.

If you are interested in this kit, warranted for the rest of my life, please send me an email:
barrysbigtrains@earthlink.net  or 623-936-6088  I will send you the description and the order form.

Barry - BBT    
There are no dumb questions.