News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

reguaging steel wheelsets

Started by jerry20, March 03, 2010, 06:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry20

Hi all, I need some advice on reguaging pilot truck wheels on steel axles.  Are they pressed on or how are they made?  I need to widen them about 1/64 of an inch and I would like some insight into this before I really mess something up!  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any info.   Jerry

James in FL

Hi jerry20,

I remove the wheel sets from the trucks, I then grip the axel with a pair of needle nose pliers far enough down in the jaws to leave a little gap on one side between the wheel back and pliers.
I then insert a small flat screwdriver between the wheel back and the pliers and gently twist.

Good Luck

ghiii

Check out this tool http://www.rodneysrrtools.com/nwsginfo.html
I use it and have never found a better way to gauge metal wheel sets.

George

rktouch

I machined the backs of the removable jaw faces on a mini (drill press) vise for wheel clearance and a vertical slot (axle diameter ++) in the same faces so that you can use the vise tightening screw to adjust the wheel gauge IN or OUT. Comes in handy when the insulating insert (e.g.Con-Cor) is not all the way in and you need to get inside this obstruction before pushing out to increase gauge. This also reduces the chance of bending the axle with the needlenose/screwdriver method. you are pushing/pulling nice and square against the wheels.