News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Using other DCC controllers

Started by robtheailean, May 06, 2010, 01:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robtheailean

I recently purchased 2 Bachman Spectrum locos,  ;D with DCC and sound (as I had heard so much about their quality and sound files).

As a fairly new "convert", I started out small with some Hornby gear, including a Select DCC controller and some Australian designed rtr locos which I added (Hornby) DCC chips to.

While my new Bachman models look superb, in both cases they won't respond on my programming track. :'(

The headlight flashed 8 times (am thinking this may be an error code of sorts?), but despite several attempts, including resetting the controller and trying to re-program the loco address, they neither move nor respond (to sound functions)

My older locos (including 2 x Bachman 3truck Shays, non DCC) respond OK - so my long winded question is: Is the Hornby Select controller not compatible with NMRA standards/Bachman DCC EZ chips? I noticed it uses Xpressnet which seems to be a European networking controller standard - but it does not state specifically it is NMRA compliant?Any thoughts???

Jim Banner

Hornby shows the NMRA logo on their Hornby DCC page which would lead me to believe it is compatible with the NMRA DCC standards.  See
  http://www.hornby.com/

I am not really up to speed on the Hornby Select but I can offer you a few thoughts.  First off, running Bachmann or any other brand of non-DCC locomotives tells us only that the Select can add dc to the DCC signal but does not tell us anything about the DCC part of the signal.  Now those Australian locomotives to which you added decoders - did they work as expected or not?  If they did not, then there is likely a problem either in your Select or in your operating procedure.  If they did work, then we could assume both the programming and operating functions of your Select are okay.

So that leaves either faulty locomotives (not likely that both would be faulty,) incompatibility, or faulty procedure.  I assume you tested the locomotives on address 03 and confirmed that they worked before trying to do any programming.  (If not, make a note that this is always a good idea with a new locomotive as it can save hours of trouble shooting later.)  Assuming they worked on address 03, then there must be a problem in programming.  It could be a hardware problem or a wetware problem.  The Tsunami Technology Bachmann decoders and the regular Tsunami decoder they have been using lately both take a bit more power to program than straight motion decoders do.  For this reason, most people use Operations Mode programming, also known as Programming on the Main.  I am not sure if your Select supports Operations Mode programming but you manual should tell you.  If you have been trying to program your Bachmann sound locomotives on a separate, Service Mode Programming track, it is possible you have been using the wrong programming mode.  The Tsunami supports Address Mode Programming, Register Mode Programming (first register only,) Direct Mode Programming and Page Programming as well as the previously mentioned Operations Mode Programming.  If you are following the instructions on page 7 of your manual (and I suspect you are if you got 8 light flashes) then you are restricted by the Tsunami to two digit addresses 1 to 127, even though your Select allows 2 digit addresses from 1 to 255.  And this mode of programming will let you select a two digit address only - nothing else.  Later in your manual there is a sequence on buttons presses for CV programming.  At one point, you have to confirm that the display says DIR for Direct Mode Programming.  But if I understand correctly, you can also select REG for Register Mode Programming (although why anyone would ever want to use this obsolete mode is beyond my ken) and you can select Page Mode.  In any event, try all the available modes to see if you get the Tsunamis' attention.  For more information on Tsunami programming, see page 7 of the Steam Users Guide, available at:
     http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/OEM%20Steam%20Users%20Guide.pdf

If the all the available service mode programming modes fail to work and you cannot use Operational Mode to program on the main line, then you will either have to require a programming booster or get help from someone who has a DCC system that implements Operations Mode programming.  This does NOT mean that there is anything wrong with your Hornby Select.  If only means that while your Hornby Select meets the standards for motion only decoders, it does not meet the specifications for programming sound decoders.  Digital Command Control is a rapidly changing field with new ideas and new requirements being implemented in both the decoders and in the system on a continuing basis.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.