News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

#6 EZ Track with DCC

Started by geoff, May 06, 2010, 02:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoff

Despite my misgivings, I purchased one of these for a knock down test track to provide a parking siding for a few locos so they don't have to be taken on and off the track for speed matching etc! I have an NCE Power Cab that I use for any portable set up like this one and it also provides an additional Pro Cab on the main layout!

First of all, the turnout will not respond to my NCE cab, although it will cycle through it's movements through the 2 second hold on the fuction button on the turnout?

Second, I have a new Tsunami equiped Spectrum 2-6-6-2 with the Vandy tender and although it goes through the turnout forward and backward in the straight position, it will only go through the divergent position in forward. In reverse it derails every time? The tender gets through but not the trailing truck and drivers? Several F units go through fine and a Spectrum 4-6-0 has a little problem but will usually make it?

The 2-6-6-2 goes through my Peco #6  turnouts and even my Atlas #8's with no problem?

ABC

Why would a #8 turnout cause more of a problem than a #6, did you mean to say #4. Try adding some more weight to the loco to improve its weight distribution.

geoff

ABC. No I meant to say what I said! I did not indicate there was any problem with a #8 turnout? "#8's with NO PROBLEM" I can't see modifying locomotives because they fail to work on a single turnout when they work fine on the others? Are you forgeting the intermitant problem with the 4-6-0? Should I add weight to that also? Seems like a problem with the turnout to me?

Has anyone had a simular problem with either the tracking or the DCC fuction using NCE with these turnouts?

Jim Banner

I don't use DCC turnouts so no comment on those.  However, I do use a variety of turnouts with a variety of locomotives.  If a single locomotive gives problems at a single turnout, there is a single tool that I get out to single out the culprit.  That tool is my NMRA track and wheel gauge.  With very few exceptions, it tells me within seconds what is causing the problem.  That is turn tells me what to do about it.  Without measurements, everything else is just guesswork.  Guesswork often leads to fixing the wrong problem.  You may well get things adjusted so that the one locomotive makes it through, only to find out that all the rest no longer can.

Bottom line, if you do not have an NMRA track and wheel gauge, consider getting one.  The cost is small and the benefits are large.

Jim,
owner/operator of the LB&JRR where derailments are just not allowed.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

OldTimer

Jim,

AMEN!!!  Thank you!

Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.