News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrading a 4-6-0 to Tsunami sound...

Started by TheBMRR, May 08, 2010, 10:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBMRR

What exactly would I need to upgrade a Bachmann On30 4-6-0 steamer to Tsunami sound? I need one of these, PN 826101, right? And then a speaker too?

Is anything else required? How exactly would I go about doing this?

Thanks  ;D

Tomcat

You would need:
- A Tsunami Decoder of your choice (for example - the 826101 you mentioned)
- A speaker (you wouldn´t need to buy a Original Soundtraxx Speaker as long as you keep
  in mind to use a 8 Ohms speaker
- A Speaker enclosure (which enhances the sound enourmously, go for Soundtraxx´ ones
  or fabricate a own onw from scrap
- A 8-pin Wiring harness (or if you don´t want to use the DCC decoder provided from
  Bachmann, cut this plug off, wire the plug to the Tsunami according to the color code
  given) Use shrinking tube to prevent the soldered connections you made from shorts.

There you go!
Enjoy!!!!

Cheers, Tom ;) ;) ;)

d. calloway

BMRR,  I installed my decoder the same way,It was a snap!!  Note; The decoder for the "Tweetsie" sounds "off" because it was recorded when the whistle was broke. The real whistle has since been fixed, so maybe when the sound version comes out, it will have the correct sound. Hope this helps!!   D. Calloway

Steve Magee

You might also like to consider QSI which came with a speaker that happily matches the opening in the bottom of the tender. I installed mine quite easily, it all plugs in. I mounted and sealed the speaker with BluTak, and used the whole tender shell as an enclosure (or baffle if you will). Sounds pretty good.

The sound files I used was some sort of chuff (ie, I forget which) but the whistle I used was that from a French Mikado. Sure makes it stand out from the other locos. :-)

What would I do next time? Hack into the tender PCBs and give myself space for a QSI 1.57" Hi Bass - I have these in my 2-8-0 and 2-6-0 and they are a step above any other speaker combination I have tried. And am yet to put one in my articulated to replace the MRC speaker, which is on a par with the better Soundtraxx.

Regards

Steve Magee
Newcastle NSW Aust

Jim Banner

As an experiment, I am installing a Tsunami decoder in the tender along with a 2-1/4" speaker with the sides trimmed.  This is an old trick from the early days of sound when tiny speakers were not readily available.  Like Steve Magee, I am using the whole tender as the enclosure.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.