News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Smoke unit replacement

Started by bopdoc, May 03, 2010, 10:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bopdoc

Anybody have experience replacing the smoke unit in the Spectrum 38-ton Shay? Mine has apparently burned out. My habit was to put 8 or 10 drops of oil in the unit, run it until the smoke appeared to be dwindling (about 5 minutes or so), then add another 8 drops, run it for another few minutes, then shut it off and run the rest of the session without smoke.  I had only done that about 7 or 8 times, being careful not to run it "dry". Do these units tend to burn out this quickly? Does any other company offer a smoke unit that (1) lasts longer, (2) produces larger volumes of smoke, and (3) "pulsates" with the speed of the engine?  Thanks for any help you may offer.

NarrowMinded

This issue has come up several times  in the last few months, some times the smoke unit stops working because of a problem with the little tube the Bachmann suggested in the past the use a pencil with eraser to gently push the little tube back down. You can also check
Smoke tips on www.girr.org
NM

bopdoc

Thanks,Narrowminded; I tried the eraser trick, but no luck. I think I will have to buy a replacement (not a big deal,only about $10; but the trick will be finding someone to replace it...I am abysmally inept at electronics!)

NarrowMinded

I think the hardest part of it will be disassembly and reassembly the replacement should be a simple
pull out and drop in.

NM