News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Compatible track

Started by vidguy069, May 11, 2010, 06:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vidguy069

Please forgive my ignorance.  For I am still quite new at this.
I have found a layout I'm going to attempt.  It is a "Folded Dog Bone with Branch"  Atlas HO-23.

My question is this, the parts lists a mark 3 wye.  I am using Bachmann's EZ track (N/S) ho scale.  Are the Mark 3 Wye and Bachmann's #5 wye compatible as far as the divergents are concerned?

Thanks to you all
vidguy069

Joe Satnik

Dear vidguy069

Download and try AnyRail.com

It will allow you to try both.  It will tell you the divergent angle of any end of your track piece. 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

P.S. You've changed. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

az2rail

As long as you use the same code [100, 80, etc...] the rails will match.

They do make transition track if needed.

The biggest problem you would have is that EZ track has a large plastic road bed, where the Mark series has no roadbed.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Doneldon

VG69-

I would bet that you can either create the layout with EZ Track  or adapt EZ Track to the layout pattern.  Good luck!

--D

OldTimer

Vidguy,
First, I'd like to welcome you to the world's greatest hobby!  Now, I have to ask if this is going to be your first layout?  I ask because this is a pretty complicated plan with a long grade and some hidden track.  The carpentry will be challenging and the layout will be difficult to scenic because in several places tracks are very close horizontally but with a lot of vertical separation.  Atlas common rail dual cab wiring components can make your wiring pretty bullet proof but require attention to detail and testing as you go along.  DCC would simplify the wiring but brings its own learning curve.  At 5 1/2 feet wide, reaching the center is going to be a problem. 

A lot of folks get off to a great start in the hobby and then drop out after becoming discouraged by trying to do more than their experience and confidence level will allow.

As an alternative, I'd like to suggest something like the Morgan Valley RR (Atlas plan 10030 in their gallery).  If you have the room, this plan can be easily stretched to a 4X8 and benefits from the increase in size.  This track plan offers lots of switching challenges and other features.  The layout is very "do-able" and yet will serve you well as a learning experience and stepping stone to a second, more involved layout.

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it, LOL, but I'm going to offer another suggestion anyway.  If you are going to work from one of the more involved Atlas plans, I'd suggest that you use Atlas track.  The Atlas folks actually built these plans, and you're guaranteed that everything fits with Atlas track components.   The Morgan Valley can probably be put together with EZ Track without too much hastle.

And now...(Trumpets in here)...the answer to your question.  The Atlas Custom Line wye is a number 3.  It has the same diverging angle (two of them, actually) as a number 6 switch.  So you can use an Atlas wye and two #6's to go from two tracks to three tracks with everything parallel.   I don't have one in front of me, but I suspect that what Bachmann is calling a number 5 wye is really a  #2 1/2, just a tad sharper than the Atlas piece. 

Again, welcome! 
Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.