News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steamtown?

Started by Cooped, May 12, 2010, 05:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooped

Thanks everyone. Strasburg it is. We've been quite a few times, my Avatar (the little picture on my posts, I think that's what it's called) is my son and me riding in the caboose behind Thomas on one of the day outs with Thomas there. Next one is I think in June and we're definately planning on attending. This weekend my wife will be away on business so we're looking for a 'boy's day'. Thought I might try Steamtown, but looks like Strasburg will be much more enjoyable for him. Haven't made it to the Choo Choo barn before so I'm going to make a point of getting there this time.

Thanks again
Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Joe323 on May 14, 2010, 04:14:10 PM
Theres lots to do in Strasbourg for a young railfan. 

Start by visiting the Choo Choo barn a large model RR layout.  While you are there go to the hobby shop next door and buy a commemorative boxcar for your layout.

By all means take the trip on Strasbourg RR however skip the dinning car the food is not worth the price. You can also skip the A/C car  we found the regular coaches quite comfortable.

Buy a combo ticket with the Pennsylvania RR museum across the street but go the next day as your son will probably be tired out after the train ride.   Then consider going to the National Toy Train Museum.

We opted not to stay at the Red Caboose Motel (I think that was the name) but if you stay there you will sleep in a real caboose.  We happened to like the Best Western on the outskirts of Lancaster which has both an outdoor and indoor pool with a hot tub. 

There are a few non rail things of interest.  First you are in Amish County so you might want to visit one of their farms that offer buggy rides. Next there is Dutch Wonderland a local amusement park and finally there is the National Christmas Museum a sort of nostalgic look back at the Christmases I never had but my Fiance' did.

Have fun.

Joe

And for an unforgettable dining experience, don't miss Jennie's Diner, on Route 30 East/Lincoln Highway, just east of where Route 896 cuts off the Lincoln Highway to go south to Strasburg.

The pancakes at Jennie's are the size of a turkey platter. ...  :D

Joe323

And for an unforgettable dining experience, don't miss Jennie's Diner, on Route 30 East/Lincoln Highway, just east of where Route 896 cuts off the Lincoln Highway to go south to Strasburg.

The pancakes at Jennie's are the size of a turkey platter. ... 

We stop there it was dirty esp the restrooms  We moved on.

uncbob

My wife and I have been going to Dutch Country for back road biking since 85
make about 12-20 trips a year

Frequently hit the RR Museum and the RR at Strasburg

They usually run the Decapod or Mastadon and sometimes the Mogul

Here are the engines

http://bandb3536.com/strasburg.htm

Joe323

I believe #475 was running when we were there.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Joe323 on May 17, 2010, 02:08:52 PM

The pancakes at Jennie's are the size of a turkey platter. ... 

We stop there it was dirty esp the restrooms  We moved on.

My dad and I have dinner there every Sunday when I go to visit him. There is always a line on Sundays. Never had a problem in the dining room. Food is good and abundant.

It's a truck-stop diner. If you want the Ritz-Carlton, go somewhere else.

jettrainfan

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on May 18, 2010, 04:45:52 PM

It's a truck-stop diner. If you want the Ritz-Carlton, go somewhere else.

Truck stop bathrooms aren't the best, sticking around my grandpa in Pennsylvania taught me enough about them! But its better than the roundhouse his dad worked at! ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

Cooped

Well me and the little guy had a great day. Got there in time to catch the end of the morning preparations with #90. #475 was steaming too for a while, but not running. Did the museum and the Choo Choo barn also.

Was going to get a bunch of pictures to postm but my wife too the camera with her on her trip.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

RAM

It is too bad that Bachmann did make a model of #90

ALCOS4EVER

I have never been to Steamtown in Pennsylvania but I have seen many photos and it looks execellent. I look forward to going someday. I did however go to it when it was in Bellows Falls, Vermont in the late 1960's as a kid. It wasn't as large or nicely displayed but I thought it was great. One of my oldest and best railroad memories is climbing into the cab of the Big Boy. It was huge and I've never forgotten that. Definiteley take your kid(s) especially if they like trains. They will never forget it.

ebtnut

My speculation on why Bachmann did the Russian:  First, a lot more railroads, including some big class 1's (Erie, SAL, WM, etc.), had Russian Decapods.  Strasburg No. 90 (ex-Great Western 90) was one of only a few of that design built, almost all going to short lines.  Second, the Russians got their name because they were built for Czarist Russian railways, and represent a pretty typical European design.  I suspect the same basic mechanisim was used for Bachmann's continental market.