News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jackson & Sharp Kits

Started by Udo, May 16, 2010, 01:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Udo

Hello together !

I am just painting my Jackson & Sharp kits (passenger cars, combine and full baggage car).
During that work, some questions came up:

Full baggage car:
There are two separating walls in the kit. Why ? Isn't one enough?
The floor plate has two round holes, one in each compartment, close to the separating walls, diameter 12 Millimeter, for what ?

Combine:
There was no separating wall in the kit.
Is that standard, or is this wall missing in the kit?

I will not have a problem with the missing wall, I will just use one of the walls of the full baggage car.

By the way, the doors to the platforms at the end of all the cars don't have inside structure.
I will just make a foto of the outside (ready painted), print out the same size on Foto paper and glue it from the inside. I have made two cabooses like that already, looks good.

Udo

on30gn15

Hi Udo;

These things are a function of how parts are molded.

Yes, there should be one wall in combine kit.

As far as 12mm holes - train set cars have box on bottom of car for 9 volt battery to power lights. Box snaps into car underframe. Those 2 holes are to clear those snap tabs.

Baggage car is not lighted but shares floor and frame parts with the other cars. If you look at underframe you will find 2 rectangular indentations where holes for snap tabs from battery box would go.
will also find holes for wires to pass through and a small rectangular hole for on/off switch.
Will also find by bolster 2 hoes for wires from wheel wiper contacts on trucks to pass through.
Floors are molded to be used either way.

And, yes, while most full baggage cars  would not have had dividing walls (baggage/RPO definitely would) the model given its size and flexibility of plastic does include them for rigidity.

If combine and baggage car floors are placed side by side it will be noted the baggage floor is sort-of 2 combine floors back to back and wall in combine is slightly off center.

Molding inside structure on the doors would have added complexity to the molds and increased price of the model by quite a bit.

These answers worth it?  ;D
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Udo

Hy 0n30Gn15,

thanks for the comprehensive answer !

I think, I will place some beer barrels on the holes to cover them.....

Udo