News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Decoder Prices

Started by chuff_n_puff, May 21, 2007, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuff_n_puff

Does anyone see any trend of sound decoder prices ever coming down? After all, for a few bucks more, you can just about buy a sound equipped locomotive, and in certain models for less money! It seems like they have been on the market long enough for the price to start dropping. A friend of mine, who is into decoder manufacturing, said the only cost difference on the assembly line, is a couple of bucks more of componants over non sound decoders. The price is simply based on supply and demand.

SteamGene

Based on the pricing trends in both computers and issued model railroad stuff, I expect sound decoders to go down in price in the next year or so.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I agree with Gene's assestment.   Also, let me add,  with supply and demand driving prices,  then it may take a bit longer to see a drop in prices as there are many modelers out their doing their own installations as people like Soundtraxx,  with their Tsumani decoder,  making it much easier than in the past.   At the store,   where I work partime,  we sell many more decoders than sound equipped engines simply because there is not enough variety of sound equipped engines to satisfy the general population in the model railroad community. 

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

r.cprmier

Bob and Gene;
The one thing I would like to see-and have mentioned in the past from time to time-is a decoder that has some variation  to sounds.  I am not neccessarily referring to whistles, but to individual sounds peculiar to a specific locomotive-a fingerprint, so to speak.   A clank, squeak, etc that could perhaps be "cv'd" into the module.
BLI markets a great locomotive, but the sounds are too restrictive-or maybe I am taking one too many strolls down memory lane...
Also, have you noticed that the whistle variations on the Tsunami decoders are on the soft side.  If this were real life, my 2-6-6-2s would have pictures of automobiles, etc, painted on the sides of their cabs...Hmmmm, Pappy Boyington, engineer?...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

GN.2-6-8-0

Several more thoughts.

1. Those that developed the DCC + sound decoders which by the way are far and away superior to even the one time king of sound systems PFM sound' will need to see a return on their  R&D investment.

2. As for sound equipped engines....while there is a number of Locomotives being produced with sound  'most noteably by BLI and Bachmann' most of us have medium to large stables of engines we're not going to just retire in favor of new sound equipped locos when we can upgrade our present equipment which for many of us may include engines that just are not otherwise available.

3. And yes  I would like to see the cost come down and I'm sure they will eventually , but I wouldn't expect it any time in the really near future.

Cheers!
Rocky Lives