News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Metal Wheel Tire vs Traction Tire

Started by Trains Again, May 16, 2007, 04:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chucknlead

Buy a BLI engine and you won't need to worry about traction tires or adding weight. Their engines can pull tree stumps!!!! The Bachman Spectrum series has them beat in the detail department but like anything, there are trade-off's.
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

Atlantic Central

Chuck,

Most BLI/PCM locos come with traction tires, and I do have few of them. But, they don't make everything I need/want for my railroad.

And, while BLI/PCM locos, for the most part, do pull well with or without the traction tires, I always install them if it is an option.

I spoke to the parts department at Walthers today and they are aware that there is a market for replacement drivers with traction tires for the 2-8-8-2, so they may show up on the next run. But right now they do not have those parts.

Bachmann should really consider this as well. Along with solving the parts availablity thing, they could easily sell traction tire driver sets to 40-50% of those who have bought their locos in the past. I would pay $10 or $15 per loco to add traction tires to my existing fleet of spectrum locos.

Jack,

Thanks for the info, those prices are actually about average from what I could see, but I have most of what I need right now. I am still waiting for Pacifics, Atlantics, modern 10 wheelers and heavy Mikes to be made by someone, Bachmann, Proto or BLI/PCM.

Sheldon

TwinZephyr

Traction tires should be avoided if at all possible.  Same with wheel wipers.  A well designed locomotive should not need traction tires.

Roger's point about long-term availability of replacement tires is valid.  Some traction tires will last for a couple decades while others self destruct in just 3-4 years.

Atlantic Central

Twin,

You and Roger are entitled to your opinion, Virginian, myself and others are entitled to ours.

It is my sincere hope that choice remains the order of the day and that more manufacturers include both.

Or, are you too one of those condesending people who knows better what is good for others?

And, did you read this whole thread or just jump to the bottom to tell us the error of our ways?

Sheldon

Trains Again

Hey, Hey!  C'mon guys. We don't have to make this into a big arguemeant and get mean with eachother. I asked a question in this topic, and I got many good answers.

But we don't need to turn this whole thread upside down.

Virginian

It's been slow lately.  I suggest pistols at dawn!  I can bring my own pistols (and I'll be glad to loan you one too, if you need it Sheldon).  ;D
"What could have happened... did."

Atlantic Central

Virginian,

Yes, pistols at dawn, and thank you, but I am well armed also. We should be just fine.

Sheldon

Trains Again

Haha! :D    I'm guessing Howitzer's aren't allowed? ;)

Stephen Warrington

;D How about CSA land rams? I can load the 24 pound naval gun with canister  :o

I like the choice as some models need traction tires others don't I guess Lionel really did it right with Maga traction  my first O scale engine was diecast 4-4-2 and it could pull stumps.

But in G I had to remove the traction tires off my USA GP30s they were crap and loved to hang up in turnouts but they dont need them anyway.

In HO some of my steamers they are a must have.

Stephen