News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Control Master 20

Started by Skip, May 16, 2007, 07:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skip

I'm putting together a modest DC layout (150-200 feet) running only one loco at a time, and looking at straightforward power supplies - The control master 20 looks suitable, but is 5A enough, and is this unit reliable enough?  I'm not overly excited with MRC (have several smaller scale gear including a prodigy express) but the price is right for now...  Good, bad and the ugly?

Nathan

Skip,

Which locomotives are you running and how much current do they need?

Do you have passenger cars or caboosse's with lighting and how much current do they draw?

Do you plan to run feeder wires to several places along the track?

Nathan

David

I use a Control Master 20 and runb a Shay and Connie at the same time. I have had no problems at all with my unit and have purchased a second hand controller because I have a tendancy to drop it.

Regards,
Regards,
David Silverton
Vernon Hills, IL
K8UOP

Skip

Locos are a Aristo C-16, 2-truck shay and a USA Alco  -  Only a couple of cars (so far) have power. I can run multiple feeders if necessary, and was thinking of at least two depending on how it runs, initially.  Not a lot of rolling stock yet. Based on the playing around I've done with an MRC HO power pack  (tech4) I believe 5A should be plenty as I can at least run the engines on a short bit of test track with the tech 4, and its only an amp at best.  The alco draws the most, especially with smoke on.

Edited to add: Damn Ebay - apparently I own a BM Connie now too  :( ;D

Nathan

From what you have said the MRC Control Master 20 shoud do what you want.

Tony Walsham

Hi Nathan.

I have had an older version of the C20 as a test bed power supply for track powered locos.  It has been very reliable although I only occasionally have a heavy load on it.

I am not familiar with the newer version.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

jpipkin

I have used one for over 10 years and never had a problem with multiple trains.  My only complaint is that the speed control does not allow for very slow crawl speeds.