News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What Can You Do With A 2-6-6-2?

Started by J3a-614, May 17, 2010, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

Well its been some time now since SP-3937 came back from the shops after her conversion and was put to work doing what she does best.....pulling tonnage at drag freight speed.

In this video clip shot in the Tucson yards looks like a visit to the wash rack to clean the running gear will soon be in order  ;D

http://youtu.be/w2XG2IM25e8
Rocky Lives

J3a-614

Well, it looks like you might be able to do more with a 2-6-6-2 in the future, like ride behind one. . .

http://www.movingfullsteamahead.com/news/view/restore_and_operate_c_o_1309_2_6_6_2

I wonder if Bachmann will be interested in another variation on this. . .

ebtnut

Even the supposed "experts" can get it wrong sometimes.  Here's quote from the new Railway Age article on the C&O 1309:  "The 217-ton locomotive will fit the existing turntable at Frostburg. A wye will be used to turn the engine at Cumberland.

The Allegheny joins three other "super power" generation steam locomotives currently under restoration for main line operation. Union Pacific's Big Boy 4014, built in 1941, has arrived at UP's steam shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming, where it will be rebuilt to join UP 4-6-6-4 Challenger 3985 and 4-8-4 Northern 844 in active excursion service." 

The writer has obviously confused the 2-6-6-2 with the C&O's huge H-8 2-6-6-6's, which were definitely Superpower locos.  The 1309 was built to essentially the same blueprints as the original USRA design from WWII.  The only real difference is the use of piston valves on both engine sets. 

Doneldon

ebt-

Don't forget the other super-power loco in the works: Santa Fe Northern (2925, I think), currently under active restoration in Albuquerque. I saw it last June and it's coming right along. They're mostly on the steam parts now, the appliance parts being mostly complete. They had the stack extender sitting on the ground and I was quite impressed with its size, like five feet tall!.
                                                                                                        -- D

ebtnut

Doneldon:  It will be great to have another big 4-8-4 on the loose.  Can't wait for the second rebirth of N&W 611.  I note I have a typo in my comments.  The 1309 is from the USRA design of World War I, not II.