News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NYC caboose

Started by richg, May 22, 2010, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Newly painted Pacemaker caboose to go with my Pacemaker freight train.

Black and white photo of the prototype.

The NYC made five out of older 40 foot fishbelly boxcars which brought them to about 41 feet, 7 inches long. They had plywood sides.

Rich

jonathan

That is truly a professional looking paint job.  Very nice.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

rich-

Looks great!  Thanks for the photos.

--D

richg

Thanks guys. It is an enjoyable project. Below is a photo with one boxcar. Five different HO scale companies have made the boxcar with slight variations, usually the bottom color. One company sold a set some years ago and the bottom color is white. I have twelve of those boxcars along with maybe 12 more from three other companies.

Rich

jbsmith

ABC

Hey Rich do you weather your rolling stock or do you model an era when everything is "new" or freshly painted?

pdlethbridge

The East Rochester spot was famous for the cars it made but it closed many years ago. There is a video about the east Rochester cars shops.
http://www.erhistory.com/all/show_images?category_id=20&page=1
and another site with pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgvrrm/4335741861/in/set-72157623368041768/

richg

Quote from: ABC on May 23, 2010, 01:00:01 PM
Hey Rich do you weather your rolling stock or do you model an era when everything is "new" or freshly painted?

I plan to do some weathering. A fellow in our club has about thirty Pacemaker freight cars, all with different weathering. Some Pacemaker cars had the plain brown paint scheme.
I have 24 cars with only two cars with the same number.
He is using a Trix 19,000 series NYC caboose but not the red/grey paint scheme. He just missed a Pacemaker caboose on ebay like mine. It went for about $185.
I found mine unpainted for $75.00 at an mrr site because I had done some extensive Google searching.
I find a lot of good buys on the 'Net by searching.

Rich

Woody Elmore

Very, very nice paint job. NYC equipment is on the rare side even though it was a big railroad. As for weathering, were the real things heavily weathered? I would run the train in pristine condition. Why cover up that great paint job.

richg

Quote from: Woody Elmore on May 24, 2010, 10:34:18 AM
Very, very nice paint job. NYC equipment is on the rare side even though it was a big railroad. As for weathering, were the real things heavily weathered? I would run the train in pristine condition. Why cover up that great paint job.

I have some books with New York Central rolling stock and there was always varying degrees of weathering on freight stuff. The locos were generally kept cleaner, especially the crack diesel passenger trains. The one prototype photo, the caboose and one freight car look quite clean. I might dull coat the caboose though. The wheels need attention also.
A DCC/sound BLI Mohawk would be a nice loco but too expensive for me. There is a publication photo of a New York Central Mohawk pulling the Pacemaker freight that was used in advertising many years ago.

Definitely need a crewman in the cupola though. I dislike running locos and caboose with no crew in them.
I would post a video of the Pacemaker freight here but the stuff is not Bachmann.

Rich