News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roadname vs. Scale

Started by Emster, May 19, 2010, 12:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emster

I hear that the Big Hauler line is supposed to be 3ft guage, but there are roadnames like Union Pacific, Santa Fe, Great Northern, and B&O. If Bachmann was making narrow guage equipment, why are there standard guage railroads? Did these railroads all have 3ft guage lines somewhere?

on30gn15

Two things happening here.

1. over the decades some standard gauge roads did indeed absorb narrow gauge lines. Right now all that comes to mind is Milwaukee in the midwest and Pennsylvania back east.

Wait a minute, there is another one, Southern Pacific took over the Carson & Colorado 3ft that Virginia & Truckee decided to unload.

And, I would swear have seen in print within the last year that at some point UP took over something and 3ft locos were lettered UP.

And sometimes the more successful of the narrow gauge lines were converted to standard gauge to be assimilated into the larger system.

2. certain roadnames/paintjobs are pretty much guaranteed to be consumer-attractive.
If ya gotta cover the cost of making it plus bring in some cash to spend on creating the next new models, you're gonna have to make what you know will sell.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

the Bach-man

Dear Emster,
That's exactly the right answer!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Emster

Thanks for the info.
Emster

Kevin Strong

Far more #2 than #1, by a W--I--D--E margin. ;) (And nothing wrong with that...) From a modeling standpoint, just remember that manufacturers have a long history of playing a bit fast and loose with paint schemes in order to sell trains, so not to read anything into prototype practice based solely on a commercial model.

Later,

K

NarrowMinded

Most people don't know there is any differance in gauge , many think the trains at Disneyland will run down the tracks that the railroads use today so they just buy what ever road name appeals to them.

NM

Loco Bill

Some of us actually use the "narrow guage" Bachmann 1:22.5 items to represent standard guage prototypes.  My Missouri Western Railway is standard guage freelanced after the CB&Q Kansas City cutoff..

The point of my rambling is that you can do whatever you want, as long as it pleases you!    The critical thing is to have fun doing what you enjoy doinf with you trains!!

Enjoy your new GN set and pretend it is standard guage if that works for you!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products