What is the correct way to hook the drawbar to the tender? N spectrum

Started by jimwindley, May 22, 2010, 12:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimwindley

Hi
Previously, there was a discussion here on whether the spring connectors on the spectrum drawbar fit on the outside or the inside of contact pins of the tender trucks.  There didn't seem to be a definitive answer.

It seems to me that they should go on the outside of the pins.  If this is   true, is there an easy way to assemble the truck to the tender?

I'm getting frustrated trying to get the assembly made.  So, I'm going to bed and hoping that someone has the answer I need.

Thanks

Jim

skipgear

The wire spring wipers on the drawbar go inside. The latest tenders from Bachmann, the VC16 and VC12 vanderbuilts have been designed so there is no longer an option.

I did this photo a while back to explain it.....

Placing the wiper wires on the outside, restricts the rotation of the truck independent of the drawbar and will cause derailments through tighter radius corners and crossovers.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

jimwindley

Skipgear
Thanks
I remember your previous picture now.  My problem was/is that the springy contacts would not touch both of the pins at the same time when they were on the inside.  The solution is now obvious to me.  I have to stretch the spring so that it will touch both pins as required.  Now, I'll finish my morning coffee and head down to the workbench.
Thanks again for your help.
Jim
PS  I'm waiting for the socket parts for tender connection, (earlier post).  I'll let you know how they work.