News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command question

Started by MarkInLA, May 24, 2010, 05:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

I am considering buying a E-Z Command throttle as my very first digital control system. But I am not sure if E-Z offers a walk around throttle in the set up. I.E. I wish to both run trains from a fixed position and/or be able to plug into outlets along the layout edge to walk along with a train..Does E-Z offer this ?? Also, in a related question, I own a Tsunami HO 10 Wheeler and as it is dual-mode I run it on my still analog layout. Problem is it hesitates at low start throttle and thus won't creep  . I am presently using my old MRC Tech II analog power pack. Will this jerky hesitation disappear once I go digital with the E-Z Command ?   Thanks, Mark   :-\

ABC

Yes the E-Z Command has a walk around companion with outlets available. (see below) But it must be purchased separately. The manufacturer's suggested retail price for the system is $133 and an additional controller is $120, while the MSRP of the connector panel is $42 and the booster's is $305. So at MSRP the equiptment necessary to run 4 locos with a controller for each would be $1000 not including sales tax.  Luckily the system can be found on ebay brand new for $80, the walk around companion for $75, the booster for $200, the connector panel for $40, and the automatic reverser for $50. So, the same if purchased online would be roughly $600, so you would be saving 40% compared to Bachmann's MSRP. The E-Z Command system can only run 3 locomotives simultaneously without a booster or 2 if you are running one on Bachmann's address ten (as DC), which is actually zero.
No, you may have to program advanced CVs, which the E-Z Command cannot do. Also try cleaning the  locos wheels and track thoroughly and check all the locomotive's and the track's connections.

E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion (with Connector Wires)
Product Information
Control multiple trains from convenient locations around your layout or coordinate independent railroad operations between a primary and secondary user.
   * plug-and-play connection to E-Z Command® Control Center
   * duplicates all locomotive addresses set on E-Z Command® Control Center
   * simultaneous throttle control of several locomotives
Price: $120.00
Product Code: 44907

E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion Connector Panel (with Connector Wires)
Product Information
Used in conjunction with the E-Z Command® Walk-Around Companion, multiple connector panels let you establish a series of control points virtually anywhere on the perimeter of your layout.
   * plug-in port
   * oversee railroad operations from convenient locations throughout your layout
   * simple connections to all brands of track
Price: $42.00
Product Code: 44908

E-Z Command® 5 Amp Power Booster
Product Information
Our 5 amp power booster provides extra current to track for an increased number of DCC locomotives on your HO, N, O, or Large Scale layout.
Price: $305.00
Product Code: 44910

Here is the E-Z Command Digital Command Control System:

Product Information
We're pleased to offer the next step in digital command control (DCC) with the new E-Z Command® Digital Command Control System. In partnership with Bernd Lenz, commonly recognized as the father of DCC, Bachmann incorporates the latest digital technology to bring you a DCC system that is both easy to use and affordable for novice and experienced hobbyists alike. E-Z Command® allows modelers to digitally control speed, lighting, and direction of multiple locomotives. But unlike other complicated DCC systems, E-Z Command® simplifies the programming process with simple, on-track programming.
Features include:
• digital control of multiple locomotives in N, HO, and On30 scale
• plug-and-play compatibility with all DC and DCC systems
• digitally control speed, direction, lighting and sound
• simple, on-track programming
• plug-in wiring
• DVD and printed instructions
Price: $133.00
Product Code: 44902

It is also compatible with the E-Z Command® DCC Automatic Reverse Loop Module
Product Information
This E-Z Command® accessory eliminates the complicated wiring previously needed to operate analog reverse-loop track layouts.
This module senses train as it moves along the loop, automatically switching polarity to allow reverse loop travel
Price: $76.00
Product Code: 44912

NarrowMinded

I bought an ez command as my first step into dcc, Every loco I added a decoder to runs WAY smoother then it did on dcc and I have not changed any cv's the rail truck and forney both had the dual mode turned when I bought them by my hobby shop per my request but they changed nothing else, both of them also run better at slow speeds on
Dcc then on DC. Others my have a differant experience then me but the dcc controlled mad a big difference for me straight out of the box

NM

Jim Banner

Tsunami and Bachmann's Tsunami Technology decoders include Back EMF control.  This is a feedback circuit which forces the locomotive to operate at the speeds you command it to operate at using Digital Command Control (DCC.)  It overcomes the hesitancy of dc locomotives to start smoothly at very low speeds.  Decoders with BEMF control are great in switchers because they allow smooth starts and gentle coupling at very low speeds.  They are also great in steam locomotives because of the very smooth, slow starts that are possible.  If you like watching or riding behind an experienced passenger engineer who eases open the throttle ever so gently, then BEMF control is for you.  And if you like steam, the slow, smooth starts show off the valve gear and rods exquisitely.  This fine control is just sitting there waiting inside your Tsunami equipped locomotives waiting for DCC operation to put it to use.

BEMF technology does not depend on what DCC system is sending the speed signals to the locomotive.  It will work with all of them.  But fine tuning the BEMF control or turning it on and off does require a system more advanced than the E-Z Command.  And there can be times when you will want the BEMF control turned off.  Depending on our layouts and the way we like to operate them, there are times when we want to double or triple head locomotives.  Maybe we want to pull a particularly long train or maybe we have steep hills on our layout.  Whatever the reason for using more than one locomotive on a train, we would like to have all of them helping to pull that train.  This requires that both locomotives are trying to run at the same speed.  But minor differences between locomotives can cause the BEMF control in one to perceive that the locomotive is going too slow, causing it to apply more power to that motor.  This can cause the BEMF control in the other locomotive to perceive that its locomotive is going too fast, causing it to cut the power to its motor.  In extreme cases, one locomotive will shut down completely while the other will go to full power and be spinning its wheels as it pulls along its shut down mate.  This is not a good state of affairs, but is easily avoided by shutting off the BEMF control when using multiple locomotives.

If you will never double head, and if you want to run only two trains at a time, then the E-Z Command with a walk around companion is a reasonable choice.  But if being able to fine tune decoders, use multiple locomotives on trains, have plenty of power for running multiple trains, and be able to add as many throttles as you want if/when your layout grows, I suggest that you can find a more full featured system at a lower price than ABC has estimated.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Mark-

It's reasonable to assume your ten-wheeler will run a bit more smoothly under DCC than DC but to get maximum improvement you might need to do some reprogramming.  Perhaps you have a friend with DCC or a club layout which can help.

Regardling additional equipment: You will need the EZ Companion if you want to have two walk-around controllers.  However, you may not need all of the items ABC mentioned, especially if yours is a smaller layout.  The EZ Companion comes with one plug in port and that may give you enough mobility.  Then you won't need to purchase another port.  You'll only need the reverse module if you have a reverse loop; most model railroads don't have one.  Also, you won't need the seriously overpriced five amp booster unless you plan to run more than three or four locomotives simultaneously.  Three is plenty for a small to midsized pike and a handful unless there is more than one operator.  So maybe you'll just need the EZ Companion or, at worst, the Companion and one extension terminal.  You should easily get the additional equipment for under $100 at an on-line hobby shop or eBay.

If the scope of your layout is beyond what I've mentioned here the EZ Command is not for you.  The EZ Command is nice and economical in its entry level.  However, it becomes very pricey if you try to expand it very much, mainly because of the spendy five amp booster.  You can buy a much more versatile and capacious system for far less than the cost of the entry system, EZ Companion and booster.  Bachmann's own Dynamis would be a much better system for less money and the same can be said for the DCC systems from all of the competing brands.

So, assess your needs and buy accordingly.  Minimum needs, EZ is fine.  Beyond the minimum, look elsewhere.

Good luck and welcome to DCC, IMHO the only way to go.

--D

ABC

Yeah that's true I wouldn't use it except for an entry level bare bones system. I was just pointing out all the items compatible with an E-Z Command. I did not state he needed to purchase one. And I was just doing a sample calculation if he wanted to run 4 or more locos with 4 other operators. And your correct in saying most people do not require more than the system and one walk around controller.
My suggestion is to start out with the E-Z Command to get used to DCC then when your more familiar with things make a choice on an advanced DCC system when the time is right.

Joe323

ABC I agree with your suggestion to start out with E-Z Command and go from there because that is how I have started out.  I would not run more then 2 or 3 locos at a time but that's OK since my layout is small enough that its plenty.