News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N gauge 'track troubles'

Started by ntexguy, May 25, 2010, 12:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntexguy

HELP!  Im relatively new to mod trains and am developing my first N gauge layout.  It is set up on a table appx. 40" x 84".  I have used several of the ez track turnouts and when i use the engine with one or two other cars everything works fine.  However when i add additional cars, (even 1 or 2 more) about 1/2 the time, going through the turnouts they derail.  My track looks straight and the switch plates (?)seem to 'mate' with the track and running the cars through the turnouts with no power and me simply pushing them doesnt show any 'rough spots' that would could cause the derail.  I hope this makes some sense..I sure could use a suggestion.  Oh, this problem is not isolated to just one of the turnouts.  Thinking that the little n gauge cars are simply too light, I even taped a nickle to one thinging that might 'hold it down'.  Maybe helped a little, but not much.  Thanks so much for reading this.  mike

ABC

First see if you an determine what cars are causing the problem. Next check that the trucks are pretty tight on one end and a little loose on the other. Next check your couplers and so on...

ntexguy

thanks so much for going to the trouble to respond....sorry about the delay,
i have been out of town.  im in the process of checking, but i dont understand
about the trucks being ...i cant remember your words...tight on one end and not on the other.  if you wouldnt mind taking the time, could you please explain what that means?
again, my thanks for your trouble.
mike

ABC

If the trucks have screws then have one end with the screw tighter, so the trucks do not move as freely and the other screw a bit looser, so that the truck can move. It takes some practice to get them exactly right as you don't want them too loose or tight.

ntexguy

this may be the heighth of a dumb question, but which one do
i make tighter and which looser?  assuming end 'a' is the leader and 'b' is
the one behind, realizing they do back up some.
thanks so much for your time and patience.
mike

ABC

It doesn't matter, but it takes some adjustment to get them quite right and this may not even help fix your problem.

ntexguy

Thanks!!
im on my way home with my trusty screwdriver!
mike

herc driver

With those Bachmann EZ turnouts, it's a good idea to gently file the 90-degree angled edges of all the track pieces.  (I think if you do a search on derailments on this forum you can find some good ideas to get those turnouts to work well.)  There can be some metal burrs that are there, and sometimes the angle or thickness of the metal can cause the derailments.  If more than one car is attached to the consist there's obviously more weight pulling on each car as they traverse the turnout.  So any wheel problem or track issue will cause one or more cars to jump track more easily than if just one or two are in the consist.

Also, check the gauge of your wheel sets, making sure they're all the same gauge.

Finally, make sure the tracks align correctly when the switch is thrown.  If there's a gap, no matter how small, that can cause a derailment.  Make sure the rails are set correctly.

Hope this helps!

ntexguy

thanks so very much for taking the time to respond....
i'll give it a try!
mike

herc driver

I found it best to gently file down a very small amount the the switching rails so they lay flush when the switch is "thrown".  I also gently rounded the top edge of all the corners of the rails and frogs.  And I forgot to mention to gauge the rails themselves.  It is very possible that one or more rail is askew just enough to cause problems for cars transiting the turnouts.

Good luck!

ntexguy

ill spend some of this evening.....trying your suggestions.....and will let you know.  also, is there anywhere i can read how to 'follow the power' when using the turnouts?  i understand that using several (as im trying to do) creates a problem with how the power is routed.  any suggestions where i can do some homework?  sometimes throwing the 'switch' for a turnout will 'kill another part of the track.  now that i think about it.....maybe i ought to just take up drinking and give up trying to slay all these N gauge issues!!!!
:-)
again i sincerely appreciate your time,
mike

scrooge

Hi, If I understand your query about power to the tracks before and after the turnouts, Model Power No 16628 do a track light tester which when the track is powered show the rails which are powered.  I have an equivalent piece if equipment made here in the UK and is invaluable when wiring the track.

ntexguy

thanks so much for your response......is there a place on the web where i can see what you are talking about?
also, how much is it?
mike

ABC

Here's the model power version, life-like also makes one and several other companies too. They are usually only a few dollars in the U.S., but it would be stupid to buy online because the shipping would cost more than the actual item. The MSRP of the Model Power Version is $5 while the Life-Like version is $4.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.