News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Correct prototype

Started by lasse, May 19, 2010, 03:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasse

30" or 750/760 mm are correct prototypes and there are lots of these systems around the world.
Which prototype 30" engines has been used for the 4-6-0 ?

kcsivils

There is a wonderful preserved railway in Brazil that utilizes OF 4-4-0s, 4-6-0s and 2-8-0s.

The name of it escapes me at the moment.  The Bachmann OF 4-4-0 is a very close model of the OF 4-4-0 from this line.

Hamish K

30 inch gauge prototypes for the Bachmann locomotives is an interesting question. Many of the models are of standard or "catalogue" locomotives that could be made in different gauges and with different details. Thus a broadly similar 30 inch prototype could have existed, somewhere, for just about any of them. As well sometimes locomotives were re-gauged after they were built. However about the least likely to have a 30 inch gauge prototype is the 4-6-0. This is based on a 3 foot gauge prototype and most large 30 inch gauge locos were outside, not inside, frame.

To run through the other Bachmann On30 steam locomotives:

Both the 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters (may they return) were built for 30 inch as well as other gauges.
Small Shays, at least broadly similar to the Bachmann model, were built in 30 inch gauge as well as other gauges.
One 30 inch gauge Climax is known, it is about the same size as the Bachmann model, but has later features (currently being rebuilt at the Puffing Billy Railway, Australia)
The Bachmann OF 2-8-0 is based (with some changes) on a 30 inch gauge prototype, currently at the Alder Gulch shortline, Nevada, it originally operated in Mexico.
The 2-6-6-2 is a model of a 30 inch gauge locomotive that operated in the Dominican republic.
As mentioned above the OF 4-4-0 is very similar to locomotives preserved in Brazil on the EFOM, see http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/brazil45.htm#EFOM
The inside frame 4-4-0 is based on a 2 foot gauge prototype, but Baldwin did build small IF 30 inch gauge 4-4-0s, one (not identical to the Bachmann model) was at one stage at the  EFOM in Brazil.
There were 30 inch gauge Forneys, I don't know of any very close to the Bachmann models, but they may have been one somewhere (the ones I know of were 0-4-4s).
The 2-6-0 is from a 3 foot gauge prototype but, as other posts have shown, broadly similar 30 inch gauge locomotives were made, although by other makers than that of the Bachmann prototype.

Hamish

Ken

Just an extra note to add to Hamish's  excellent writeup  on the protoype 4-6-0

Baldwin did build 3 IF 4-6-0s for the EFOM in 1913, but no where near the size of the  Bachmann 4-6-0.  Baldwin SN  40871/40873, maybe some one can find a erection card for the engines. There has to be a suitable HO 4-6-0 which could be used to build one or two.

Ken
       GWN

C.S.R.R. Manager

On30 isn't exactly correct for 30" either, since the HO track scales out to something like 31.17" in 1:48 scale.  The prototypes for On30 trains range from the larger 36" gauge locos, like the 4-6-0 and 2-6-0, to the smaller 24" gauge locos, like the Forney and inside framed 4-4-0.

Some modelers can live with the discrepancy, while others feel the need to rework their trains to run on true 36" gauge track [also known as On3 track].  And a few brave souls leave the track as-is, and change their modeling scale to 1:55, so that the HO track scales out to almost exactly 36".

And that was probably more than you wanted to know...

Manager

scottychaos

It is very well known that the 4-6-0 is a very accurate replica of, and is based directly on, Tweetsie 4-6-0 number 12. preserved today at the ET&WNC railroad in North Carolina:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=211566&nseq=43

http://tweetsie.com/

Number 12 was built by Baldwin in 1913, and is 3-foot gauge. (always has been)

Bachmann first came out with the 4-6-0 in large scale about 15 years ago..it has been one of the most successful large scale locos of all time, the well known "Big Hauler" and "annie"..everyone who "does G gauge" has at least one! ;)

http://www.rayman4449.dynip.com/Bachmann_Annie_UP_08022005_640_0028.JPG

then Bachmann converted it to On30 just last year..

so thats your prototype for the new On30 ten wheeler..

Scot

ksivils

ebtnut

That's neat film, but what REALLY got me was the use of link-and-pin couplers, in 2007!!  I like the loco. It appears to be a Baldwin - Maybe 1920's or '30's vintage??

Nick_Burman

Quote from: ebtnut on May 24, 2010, 07:17:56 PM
That's neat film, but what REALLY got me was the use of link-and-pin couplers, in 2007!!  I like the loco. It appears to be a Baldwin - Maybe 1920's or '30's vintage??

Earlier, much earlier - some of the locos date from the 1890's. They were rebuilt in the 20's-30's, in some cases so extensively that they hardly resemble their BLW builder's pics.

Cheers NB

d. calloway

The ET&WNC ten wheeler #12 was built in 1917, while the others,#10and#11 were built in1916. The last ten wheeler built for them was#14 in1919.  Number 9 "looked" the same, but was slightly smaller than the others. I think it was built in 1911. All of these engines looked the same, with only small details to tell them apart. While these models are On30, We ET&WNC fans were happy to finally get them!!!  Alot of models are just a 'few' inches off, so the six inches here does not bother most of us. The main thing:  HAVE FUN WITH THEM!!!!! ;) D. CALLOWAY