News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

pulling ability

Started by lvrr325, May 25, 2010, 11:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvrr325

Has anyone thought to put together a chart for the Bachmann locos that shows what their relative prototype tractive effort translates to in number of average freight cars?

I'm just curious what a realistic train length is, some of these engines will certainly pull more cars than the average layout could handle, and others.. well I can make my inside frame 4-4-0 stall on grades pretty easily.  It's a pretty light-duty locomotive.

Ken

Happen to have tonnage rating for the 2-8-0 handy

Level          1800 Tons
   1%              525    "
   2%              275    "
   3%              175    "
   4%              120    "

Ken
         GWN

ChrisS

mine are all bachmann except for my AMS #50.
they layout has 4% grades, and some are on curves as well, so the flange friction adds to the struggle.
my shay will pull 3 log(real logs) cars and logging caboose no problems
2-8-0 will pull 7 cars and caboose
davenport 0-4-0 2 cars
the #50 will take 4 around.

i find with the connie, its not going up that's the problem, its controlling the speed down.....

listing numbers of cars isnt really helping you, i could always weigh the cars and give you weight....?

lvrr325

I guess I should have been more clear - what I'm getting at is what is the actual tractive effort of each prototype of the locomotives Bachmann has released, and what does that translate to in the number of cars it could pull in normal service based on the sizes of Bachmann's cars scaled up to full size?  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the models will pull more than the real thing might have been able to.  And I realize grades and such will have an effect on this, just looking for a starting point.