A Tribute to the Man Who Got Me Started in Model Railroading: Art Linkletter

Started by BradKT, May 27, 2010, 05:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

The sad news of the passing of Art Linkletter has a special meaning for me.

When I was a kid, I was one of 4 kids from my elementary school in South Central Los Angeles, California who appeared on Art Linkletter's "House Party" television show. It was a big deal back in those days (the mid-1950s) for 4 little Black kids to appear on a television show of that magnitude and we were the talk of the school. He gave me an Athearn HO scale electric train set which started my life long love affair with model railroading. I never forgot the experience. Nearly 20 years later when I was living on the East Coast, I met of one the women who also appeared with me when she was a little girl on that show and we talked for a long time that night about that experience. It brought back a lot of good memories.

Art Linkletter was a class act who made a tremendously positive impression on me. I know we all have to pass on one day, but I hate to see him go.

Art Linkletter put a lot of smiles on little kids faces...including mine..and made a lot of people laugh. I know that my experience was not unique and that a lot of other lucky llittle kids just like me who appeared on his program...of all colors...will never forget him.

In a way, it's kind of strange how one event can have a life-long effect...but that's the true story of how I got started in the World's Greatest Hobby.

There are many good things that people will say about Art Linkletter and I just wanted to say a few of them.

We lost one of the good guys today.

ebtbob

Well said Brad.   His show is one of the first I remember watching as a youngster back in the "50s
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

JerryB

Brad:

There will be lots of tributes to Art Linkletter, but most will be of the "He started this, he did that . . ." variety. Your personal story rates at the very top!

Thank you for sharing that experience and history with us. We know that many lives were touched by this man, but to hear from one of his 'kids' so many years later is the best.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

RAM

It is too bad we don't have more Art Linkletter's on tv today instead of some of the junk we have.  He was a great guy.

Jim Banner

Thanks, Brad, for sharing.  That is a wonderful story.  And I think you got it just right when you called him "A Class Act."
The Province of his birth if mourning tonight.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

d. calloway

What a great story!!!  Art was made for kids. My dad used to watch the show and loved it!!  Ihave seen many of the reruns and that is GOOD tv!!!  As en ex-railroader,I did not know Art loved trains but I am glad he did!! Sure wish we had more like him.  Dwayne Calloway

john tricarico

he had a great show back then
it was on in the afternoons here in nyc

didnt art linkletter have something to do with
the making of the hula hoop

good luck  john t  brooklyn ny