News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine Identification

Started by opahaase, May 27, 2010, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opahaase

I recently was given a N Scale Diesel Engine that was minus the Couplers.My problem is I cannot identify the Engine.
To me it looks like a EMD SD-45 however the walkway platforms both in front and rear of the engine are extended.
The fuel tank is embossed with Spectrum By Bachmann China.the Roadname  is Southern Pacific #7346.
The Couplers were Truck mounted
Any Help?
Thanks

Franz T

With the truck mounted couplers it has to be an older Spectrum model. I bet it came in the flip top box. The extended front and back porches are a dead giveaway: You have an EMD SD 40-2, which is no longer in the catalog... (Does it look like it sits a little high on the trucks??)

It look like this, doesn't it?
http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/bachsd40-2.html

Franz T

You can either use MicroTrains 1133's and truck mount them or  cut off the truck mounting pads and use a MicroTrains Pilot Conversion (#1167) and body mount them....

ABC

Yeah if it is older it must be an SD 40-2 because it fits the description perfectly, I did not see the part about truck mounted couplers sorry.

opahaase

Thank you for all the replies and info.That is exactly what I got.
By Change were these ""old Timers" DCC Ready?I do not know if it is worth converting this Engine.
thanks again

Franz T

Short answer: No. (no they weren't and no, it's not worth the trouble - and there is a lot of f it...) ;D

opahaase

Thanks for the honest answer.No wonder this Engine was passed on to me.
:'(