News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Now what do I do?

Started by on30gn15, May 28, 2010, 06:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

just a thought here, if the shell is ruined and you have nothing to loose try rubbing a small spot with a little 90% denatured alcohol it may remove the fresh clear and leave the original undamaged. I use to use it to remove lettering but  lately it hasn't worked on bachmann paints, now I just use it to clean overspray from clear windows.

NM

jpipkin

Your problem could have been from residual effects of the detergent.  I have had that happen in the past.  You might try 1500 grit wet sandpaper to see if you can level the surface enough to tray another clear coat.

on30gn15

Okay, those are ideas.
Probably try alcohol first then sanding.

End of week was having upsetting things happening to begin with and the paint trouble was a sort of the last straw kind of thing.

Will be Thursday before can raid hardware store for the alcohol.

Putting new coal load in SPC loco did go well.

Might put pictures up.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

You can usually find the alcohol at any store with a pharmacy, remember to try it inside where you test sprayed first, the clear may have also effected the lettering so try a very small spot where you won't notice.

I would say sand it  with the wet sand paper first if it wasn't for the rivots those are going to be a nitemare to sand around

NM

Doneldon

on30gn15 -

Loco Bill has outstanding advice about painting.  Read his suggestions again.  (No, Loco Bill is not my nom de plume.)

Removing the clear coat completely while leaving the factory finish is a possibility.  Try checking at an art museum or with an art conservator for what to use for this.  It can be done.   

Respraying with a matte finish clear coat will greatly reduce the bumpy appearance, assuming you can live with a not-so-shiny locomotive.  That would be the easiest alternative.

Good luck with your loco.  I know how you feel.  I've had a few pet projects go south on me, too.
                                                                              -- D

on30gn15

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Option 1 - is inquiring about a replacement tender shell.

Option 1.1  - is if one can be had to use this one as test subject.

Option 2 - is more work than I want to have to do, but . . .

It's almost, not quite, but almost, a case of, oh well, this loco has had some major alterations already, what's one more.

Mine in front, Kathy's box-stock in back - she won't let me touch it.

later, Forrest

on30gn15

Have replacement shell on order.
Whew, they did have it.
later, Forrest

mudhen

Glad to hear you contacted Bachmann and got a replacement tender shell. No cab ? or is that repairable, or where you lucky enough not to have sprayed it. Anyway you learned a almost real expensive lesson the cheap way. Good for you.

on30gn15

Hadn't sprayed the cab.

Half a lucky is better than no lucky.

Here's a partway done photo of an earlier repaint which did go well - green Pennsylvania Big Hauler to metallic grey boiler jacketing. But no gloss sprayed on anything yet.
Future was brushed over metallic grey spray paint for polished natural metal boiler jacketing effect.

Chipped "white sidewalls" paint off wheels, looked out of place on this one.
later, Forrest

on30gn15

Replacement V&T tender shell just arrived; looks fine, includes wood load.
Thanks guys  :)
later, Forrest