News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Multimeter

Started by richg, June 03, 2010, 04:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Harbor Freight has their cheap multimeter on sale again. I have had three of them for sometime and are very close to my expensive meter for readings. No AC current option but that is not an issue for model railroad work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Rich

jward

wow, can't beat that price.

i was going to say i got an analogue meter from advance auto parts for $5 but i have never seen a digital meter for that price. i am impressed......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Below is a photo of my DCC voltage adapter using the same type cheap DVM.

Rich

CNE Runner

I have several of the Harbor Freight multimeters (similar to what RichG shows in his post) and have found them a valued resource. As a frequent motor home 'jockey' - I always check the campground power outlet prior to hooking up the motor home's cable. You would be amazed at how many incorrectly wired outlets we have found on our travels. [If you are interested in how to check 30 amp and 50 amp outlets check out the latest issue of the FMCA magazine.]

On the Monks' Island Railway, I recently had sporadic track power interruptions and used the H.F. multimeter to track down a loose solder connection. At the price, there is no reason NOT to own at least one. I believe they recently were on sale for under $2!!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

Runner -

I don't think the multimeter RichG showed is the one which Harbor Freight puts on sale for two bucks.  But, hey, four bucks is still a great deal.
                                                                                              -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on June 04, 2010, 07:16:25 PM
Runner -

I don't think the multimeter RichG showed is the one which Harbor Freight puts on sale for two bucks.  But, hey, four bucks is still a great deal.
                                                                                              -- D

It is the same except for color. There are probably four different companies selling these meters that are basically the same. I just did not use the one from HF for the photo.
Some come with a little socket on the case for testing transistors.
I have seen this in other DCC forums.

Rich