News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Large scale & gauge

Started by dallasj100, June 02, 2010, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasj100

Hello - I am new to this forum, and want to ensure I understand Bachmann Large scale and track gauge.
How does it equate to LGB G scale (1:22.5) and 45mm or Gauge 1 track?
Does Bachmann specify minimum track radius for loco operation?
As a rule, will Bachmann Large run well on an LGB G layout?
Thanks...

Bucksco

Bachmann products will run on LGB track.

Kevin Strong

QuoteHow does it equate to LGB G scale (1:22.5) and 45mm or Gauge 1 track?
Nominally the same. The products in the "Big Hauler" line are, with a few exceptions, 1:22.5, the same "stated" scale as LGB (though LGB played quite fast and loose with scale.) The track scales out to 1 meter (39.4"). This gauge is not 100% prototypically accurate for the 3' gauge models being represented by the product line, but it's a compromise many are comfortable making. Bachmann's "Spectrum" product line is 1:20.3, for which the track scales out to 3', prototypically accurate for the 3' gauge models being represented. There's about a 10% size difference between the two product lines. They do run on the same track, and with the appropriate couplers (supplied), will run together. Some of the smaller 1:20 products fit in very well with the 1:22.5 products, so the scale difference is not all that noticeable.

QuoteDoes Bachmann specify minimum track radius for loco operation?
Not where it can be easily found (like the individual product listing here on the web site >:( ). For the Big Hauler line, it's 2' minimum radius (4' diameter). For much of the "Spectrum" series, you'll want a 4' radius (8' diameter), especially on the rolling stock. Some locomotives may run on tighter curves, especially the smaller locos like the Forney and 0-4-0. The 2-6-6-2 will as well, which goes contrary to the "smaller" theory.

QuoteAs a rule, will Bachmann Large run well on an LGB G layout?
Sure will, so long as the curves are compatible with the locomotive you're running.

Later,

K

dallasj100

All good information...
Thanks, Gents

tac

Note that because of the asymmetric design of the loco you might find that the Shays are not happy on the minimum radius LGB track - R1.

Three of mine will do it with the 'engine' inside the curve, the others - especially the three-truck version, will not under any circumstances or direction.

The Climax is happy on R1, but my Heisler is not.

Your results may differ, but basically go for the biggest curves you can fit into the available space - I have 14ft radius everywhere - not difficult with a 28 foot diameter circle.....

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

leif

Indeed, good information. Thanks to Mr. Strong, who had a good article on scale and gauge in the August 09 issue.
I have a couple of Big Hauler locos and assorted cars, and have been looking at putting in some Aristocraft buildings - which seem to be 1:29 (yes?). I'd like to have some fun with naming the local saloon after some of my in-laws.
When my 6'0" grandfather (engineer), who is 3.2" high (in Bachmann scale) descends from his cab and steps through the doorway of the 1:29 scale (Aristocraft) Eagan Saloon, he'll be 7'9" tall.   :o   
Is there just too much difference of scale between Bachmann rolling stock (22.5:1) and Aristocraft (29.0:1) to use them together?
If so, is anyone aware of buildings (either already assembled or in kit) that are more compatible with Bachmann scale? Looking for 1890's - 1920's vintage. Or am I being too persnickity?
Thanks,
Leif

Doneldon

leaf -

Walthers' on-line catalog lists 185 structure items in G.  Of course that's spread over all of the numerous incarnations of G so I don't know how much of it you can use.  There is a fairly comprehensive listing of large scale items in Walther' printed large scale catalog although most of that catalog is O.  Garden Railroading magazine from Kalmbach is a fun read and you'll find tons of large scale items of all types and scales there.

Most of the Bachmann large scale stuff is 1:20.3, especially the newer merchandise.  Some is 1:22.5, I think.  It's pretty easy to mix close scales like those, or 1:32 with 1:29, but things don't look right if you go too far astray. 

Non-matching scale items look best if there is some distance between them; the greater the discrepancy, the greater the distance.  Discrepancy is most noticeable when mismatched items are right next to one another.  1:29 and 1:20.3 are probably too far apart to use on a layout unless you have considerable distance between them or are trying to force perspective.  For example, you can effectively put a 1:29 cabin back up on a hill overlooking a 1:20.3 town or right of way to imply greater distance to the cabin than is really the case.  And it will work.  Placed right together, the scale difference would scream at you.

Many large scale layouts, indoor or outdoor, are fairly fanciful.  I don't know if that's true for your plans, but you will have a few more degrees of freedom if it is.  For example, you could go to Michael's or such like and buy a bunch of cheap, unpainted birdhouses.  Add some windows and doors made from scrap wood or styrene, put a chimney on top and paint the whole thing (maybe in bright colors) and you'll have a credible house.  You can do the same thing to make stations and commercial buildings for your main street.  You can put birdhouses together to get larger buildings if you want, and you can do fun stuff like using a round birdhouse for a ticket office if you don't want a "real" station.  The key here is to use exterior grade glue and paint, and to be sure that all exterior surfaces are protected by paint.  If you live in a severe climate you might want to bring the structures indoors when things are too inhospitable for you to enjoy them, i.e., July in Arizona or January in Minnesota.  On the other hand, I have seen layouts which run year-round.  One even had an operating rotary snow plow to clear the tracks for winter operations.  This may appeal to you; I think, however, that I don't need to play with trains that desperately.  Too, you seem to be talking about a gay nineties theme and that makes it even easier to go a bit overboard with color and fantasy.  Put a big false front on a birdhouse and call it an apothecary or hardware store, for example.

Above all, have fun.
                                                                                           -- D

Kevin Strong

Aristo-Craft's buildings are mostly larger than 1:29. I haven't taken a ruler to one in recent memory to accurately guess their scale at the moment, but when it comes to accessories for their trains, Aristo-Craft is, well, "larger than life." The key is to measure the doorway. If it's at least 6' tall in your chosen scale, it's plausible. To my eyes, they look far more "in scale" with the 1:24 - 1:20 stuff than they do with the 1:32 - 1:29 stuff.

Later,

K