Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney?

Started by soleman10, May 17, 2007, 12:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soleman10

Any updates on the Large Scale Forney?

Matthew (OV)

I hadn't heard that such a thing was announced .... but if we're going to postulate that one IS coming ....

I'll have two, please.  Outside frame. 

Matthew (OV)

calenelson

If things don't get better in Germany, somebody is gonna have to make one!

One for me please!

cale

Tim Brien

The problem with a Forney is finding enough prototype to enable a production run.  The Climax, Shay and Heisler were well catered for with three-foot prototype,  however,  it appears that only obscure operators had a three-foot Forney in use.

The traditional Forneys are the Maine (two-foot gauge) and the elevated Forneys used in suburban settings on elevated commuter roads (standard gauge).

LGB did a reasonably accurate job on their Forney in 1993,  however, they modified it with a swivel drive mechanism to enable use on four-foot diameter.  The LGB Forney works out around 1/19 scale and is on 45mm rail as opposed to correct 32mm rail.  I do not believe that Bachmann would offer such a loco under its scale correct Spectrum range.

I see little use for an overly large standard gauge Forney as scale and gauge would be inaccurate for 45mm rail.  This leaves us with obscure three-foot prototypes,  generally used in the timber and cotton industries in the south.  A Disneyland loco could be produced but then licencing would be an issue to be sorted out.  End result,  I see little manufacturer need to produce such a loco,  however,  I am sure that there would be a demand for inaccurately scaled models (Sandy River/Maine).

David Buckingham

Tim
Bachmann already have the design in O scale and I presume if it sells well they would make it in Large Scale  1/20.3

Would be usefull if LGB dont come back to make it to go round the two foot curves as a survey said 70 percent need it
Dave

zubi

1:19 scale is the most appropriate choice for a Maine Forney, dual gauge 32/45mm and live steam of course;-)) Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Tim Brien

David,
          I am aware of the existing On30 tooling for the Forney,  but my point is that no matter  how popular a Spectrum 1/20.3 scale Forney would be,  actual 3-foot prototypes were not the popular Forneys that modellors associate with.  I do not see Bachmann producing a 32mm gauge Forney.  There were 3-foot gauge models,  but to letter them for the popular names would not be correct in 45mm gauge.

samevans

What would be more sensible would be to produce a Mason/Fairlie.  These look like a Forney with a tank/bunker behind the cab BUT their engine unit is prototypically swivelled.  A reasonable number were used on the 3', most famously on the DSP&PRR and the Boston Revere Beach and Lynn RR.

Many are of the same era as the Spectrum Centennial Baldwins and were highly decorated.  The later engines for the B L & RB were rather more 'modern' in appearance but still ran with clerestory stock

Best

Sam E

scottychaos

Quote from: samevans on May 18, 2007, 08:40:55 AM
What would be more sensible would be to produce a Mason/Fairlie.  These look like a Forney with a tank/bunker behind the cab BUT their engine unit is prototypically swivelled.  A reasonable number were used on the 3', most famously on the DSP&PRR and the Boston Revere Beach and Lynn RR.

Best

Sam E

Accucraft has a 1/20.3 Mason Bogie in the works.
electric and live-steam.
in the planning stages right now.

Scot

samevans

I believe the Accu will be a DSSP & R  loco.  Bachmann could use a more modern BRB & LRly loco see:-

http://www.mylargescale.com/articles/masterclass/mc2/mc2-05/mc2-05-04.asp

Or one of the smaller ones such as the ones that  went to the Nantucket RR or the Martha's Vinyard RR

http://www.mylargescale.com/articles/masterclass/mc2/mc2-00/mc2-00-04.asp

Sam E

Dave

I am in the process of Kitbashing a 2-4-2T Coal Creek Loco into a sort of Forney Loco. I have replaced the rear Pony Axle with a New Bright Bogie from a Caboose and I am going to extend the Coal Bunker 20 mm to give it a bit more of the Forney look. I know the main drive mechanism wont be articulated but that wont be a problem as Forney Loco's were designed to be run Bunker First so that will overcome the swingout on curves. I also have set up the lighting to be run from a battery mounted in the cab as there is nothing worse than a Loco that loses its lights when it stops at a station or whatever. Some sound would be nice but I am working on that as well. If anyone has some ideas to improve my conversion I would be most gratefull.
               Dave Cole in New Zealand

vic

The LGB 'Forney' is technically a Mason Bogie as the front truck swivles to make it R1 compatible.

I'f B'mann does an LS version of their On30 Forney take heed to make sure its R1 capable, for a loco that size to require anything larger would be marketing suicide.

Speaking of Masons, how about one of these, maybe using the Indy drive?

This could also be done R1 capable, and would be a big seller.