Which model is PRR GG-1 ROAD NUMBER 4935?

Started by aky13, June 02, 2010, 05:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aky13

Which model is PRR GG-1 ROAD NUMBER 4935?

DominicMazoch

It is one of the 139 G's built for the PRR!

phillyreading

I think what 'aky13' is asking is what color and stripe version is the GG-1 # 4935 supposed to be?
The Pennsy used about five differant striped versions of the GG-1 in differant colors.

The GG-1 was phased out because of electrical requirements, they were 25 Hertz or cycles, also they used some type of electrical transformer or other electrical equipment that is now considered unsafe to use. Current electricity is 60 Hertz.
Although I would love to see a GG-1 run again, it is almost financially impossible for the real life one.

If you want to see a real GG-1 go to the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum in Strasburg PA.

Lee F.

Bucksco

4935 is at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg. I believe it is Brunswick Green 5 stripe. It's nickname is "Blackjack" .

DominicMazoch

The G's had these problems:

Frame Cracks
Cancer products in the electrical equipment.
Finding parts.

Is most of the old PRR part of the NEC still 25 cycle?  New electrics can change stuff like that on the fly!

Joe Satnik

aky13,

Do you mean the MTH premier scale (length) model?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MTH-PRR-GG-1-Green-5-stripes-20-5504-1-NR-/270587831631?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3f004aa54f

If you wanted that road number/paint scheme/scale length in a WBB, your easiest route would be to re-number WBB 41806:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=2481

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Quote from: DominicMazoch on June 05, 2010, 10:18:58 PM
The G's had these problems:

Frame Cracks
Cancer products in the electrical equipment.
Finding parts.

Is most of the old PRR part of the NEC still 25 cycle?  New electrics can change stuff like that on the fly!

That is what I am referring to about the GG-1! The oils or the transformer inside the cab is now considered hazardous material.

Electricity today is on the 60 Hertz standard. To modify down to 25 Hertz is expensive for the ampere draw that the GG-1 had. As far as I know of nobody uses 25 Hertz anymore, some countries still use 50 Hertz.
To convert from 60 to 25 Hertz is a very expensive process, it would be cheaper to produce 25 Hertz electricity.

Lee F.