Spectrum DCC equipted44 Tonner

Started by wrangler, June 05, 2010, 03:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrangler

Just purchased this switcher and no info was included about programing or how to use the dual mode. Am new to DCC and when I go to program it I keep getting a error message from my command

ABC

Well no one can possibly help you if you don't specify your DCC controller. As for the dual mode decoder the factory setting is for the loco to run on DC and DCC without any additional programing. The loco will run better on DC if you remove the decoder and replace it with jumpers if applicable. It's factory set address is 3.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ABC on June 05, 2010, 05:40:44 PM
Well no one can possibly help you if you don't specify your DCC controller. As for the dual mode decoder the factory setting is for the loco to run on DC and DCC without any additional programing. The loco will run better on DC if you remove the decoder and replace it with jumpers if applicable. It's factory set address is 3.

I suspect ABC meant to say it was more difficult to help you without that key information, but Hunt has made a darn good stab at it.

Quote from: Hunt on June 05, 2010, 03:54:58 PM
You did not state the DCC command station you are using or the error message you are receiving while trying to program the decoder.
However, if you are using a Digitrax Zephyr (DCS 50) and are receiving error message "d nd" then...
Workaround required for CV read and programming a non-sound Bachmann decoder using a Digitrax Zephyr.
Workaround --- Place a 1000 Ohm, ΒΌ Watt resistor across the programming track. Remove the resistor after you finish programming the Bachmann decoder.

If the above does not work, please let us know what command system you are using.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: Jim Banner on June 05, 2010, 08:12:04 PMI suspect ABC meant to say it was more difficult to help you without that key information, but Hunt has made a darn good stab at it.
I didn't account for Hunt I guess, I wonder if Hunt's hypothesis was correct...

richg

Quote from: wrangler on June 05, 2010, 03:52:37 PM
Just purchased this switcher and no info was included about programing or how to use the dual mode. Am new to DCC and when I go to program it I keep getting a error message from my command

Look to the left of this page for EZ Command. Documents there.
Many new people never think of looking in the left side of this page for more information.

Rich

wrangler

Jim Banner

Quote from: wrangler on June 09, 2010, 02:48:22 PM
Yes I am using  a Zephyr system

Thanks for letting us know.  Using the 1000 ohm resistor across the track is the way to go.  If the track is clean and the resistor is new, all you have to do is lay it across the track with each of the resistor leads touching a rail.  A better solution is to solder a small alligator clip to each resistor  lead and clip them onto the rails as shown in this photo:

Jim

Joe Satnik

What is the reason for removing the 1 K Ohm resistor from the programming track? 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

OldTimer

In my case it would be because when the programming track isn't being used for programming, it is a siding.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Jim Banner

Good question, Joe.  But I do not know of a good answer.  I suspect someone, sometime figured that the extra load would be too much for the programming output of the Zephyr.  But the resistor is not there to load the output.  Rather, it is to provide enough extra current draw so that the INPUT of the programming circuit in the Zephyr can detect it.  The current drawn by Bachmann decoders when sending a signal back to the Zephyr is lower than the detection threshold of the Zephyr so it does not see it.  Draw a little more current through a resistor or a small light bulb and bingo!  The current now exceeds the Zephyr's threshold when the decoder is also drawing current, but does not exceed the threshold when only the resistor or light bulb is drawing current.

The only time I can see removing the resistor is when you are programming a sound decoder.  Some sound decoders draw enough programming current that the Zephyr can only marginally handle them.  With the resistor in place, it might not handle them at all.  There is, however, a solution built into the Zephyr.  That is called "Blast Mode" programming.  Blast mode programming applies the full output of the Zephyr to the programming output.  But you lose readback capabilities while it is in use.  It is sort of like using Ops Mode (a.k.a. 'programming on the main') on the programming track.

Like OldTimer, I use a siding as a programming track.  I control it with two switches.  One is a large, center off toggle switch to switch the siding from the command station's main output to its programming output.  The other is a subminiature toggle switch to connect a 1k resistor across the rails when needed.  Incidentally, I do not use a guard section to keep from shorting the programming track to the main line.  Instead, I use a track leading from a turntable.  Instead of possibly bridging a gap, I might dump a locomotive in the pit instead.  ("Locomotive in the pit, boss?  I dunno who done it.  It was like that when I came on duty.  Yeah, that's my story.)

Jim