Double EZ TRACK for the "Your First Track Pack"

Started by PHENICUS, December 29, 2007, 10:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHENICUS

I purchased the "BACHMAN DIGITAL COMMANDER" start up set. In addition to that, I got the "YOUR FIRST TRACK PACK" package. In addition to that I got an entire circle of 22" radius. What I am trying to do is build the layout demonstrated in the VIDEO included in the TRACK PACK which is basicaly an oval with an 18" in the center to form a kidney shape. That part is no problem. The part that is causing me some confusion is that I am trying to do it with a double track. I am trying to figure out the angle and or piece that I need to complete the outside track. My geometry is not so hot and I am having some trouble. It all comes together fine when I do simple ovals, I just add the 3" piece in the center of the 18" and it all fits nicely. It is when I try and make that kidney shape by adding the one section of curve in the middle that the problems begin. What size and or curve pieces do i need to complete this puzzle?

Hope this makes sense.

TIA for any assistance

Kris Everett

Joe Satnik

Dear PHENICUS,

What is the length and width of your table?  A straight 22"R oval barely fits on a 4' x 8' sheet.  If you change it to kidney shape, you'll  need more than 4 feet.  

Download Atlasrr.com layout software.  AnyRail.com preferred. See next post.

http://www.atlasrr.com/righttrack.htm

Or,

A different free layout program, which includes the Bachmann library, but is limited to 50 pieces, is AnyRail.com:

http://www.anyrail.com/index_en.html

Use four regular 22"R curves (22.5 degrees) for the central "kidney bump" curves (two each oval, upper and lower).  Change the lengths of the straights between the half circles and and the central curves until it all fits.  Try to keep the four central curves flat and centered on the mid-line of the board.  

I suppose you could trick the layout program by using two half-22"R curves for each of the 4 kidney bump curves.  This would help keep them flat and centered.  (Use regular curves, as in the paragraph above, when you actually build it.)

Try to post your layout diagram here when you are done.  

Hope this helps.  

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  For now, don't use the 3" straights to widen the inner oval.  It could force the two tracks too close together on the central curves.  I assume you are trying for separate (unconnected) kidney shaped ovals.

Edit 2: OK to use 3" straights, though you can't be as sloppy in your layout with 2-1/2" (center-line to center-line) track spacing as you could with 4" track spacing.

Edit 3: "AnyRail preferred" italics.     

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear Phenicus,

I found that Atlas does not have a half-22"R piece, so for easy symmetrical drawings that leaves only AnyRail.com, which works quite well for Bachmann EZ-Track.

I also figured out that you can use the 3" straights to widen the inner oval without spacing problems on the four 22"R central curves.

Are you able to do more than 4' x 8' ?

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Kris,

I just figured out what happened. 

This is a 2-1/2 year old thread that was never initially answered.  The same question was asked on the MR website around the same time:

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/p/113957/1309147.aspx

Phenicus hasn't posted in 1-1/2 years.

A nice feature that forums should have is a flashing red "Exhumed Thread" warning for posts over a month inactive.

Joe Satnik