News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how to open up a gp40

Started by VOLTS, June 13, 2010, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLTS

greetings,

sir how can i open up an analog HO GP38/40 in order i can lubricate it with oil and grease? i just don't want to break something or what would be the easiest way to grease the gears and shaft for the analog type?

hope somebody can show me even in pictures would be nice.

thankyou
steve

ABC

Remove all screws not associated with the couplers or trucks. Then pull shell off.

OldTimer

If you look over to the left, you'll see a vertical red bar with topics in white.  Rest your mouse on "Product Reference" and then click on "Diagrams"  You'll find an exploded view drawing of your GP-40 under "standard line/HO"

I don't own one of these, so you should take the following with a grain of salt.  It appears that the body is held in place by a tab on either side of the chassis that fits into a slot in each side of the shell.  Try holding the engine in front of you and inch or so over a table and rightside up.  Work your finger nails in between the body and chassis, pry the sides outward away from the chassis and shake gently.  The chassis sould come out of the shell easily.

Make sure you use ONLY plastic compatible oil and grease.  Use it sparingly.  I put a drop of oil on a little piece of aluminum foil and then use a tooth pick to transfer a little to what I want to lubricate.  Hope this helps.
Just workin' on the railroad.

mf5117

gently pry off the diesel tank with a small flat blade screwdriver. you will see 2 diagnal screws remove the 2 screws on the underside of the chassie. and gently pull the up and toward  the front of the loco .then the shell should come off easy.