News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

To much?

Started by Michael T., June 10, 2010, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael T.

Is it too much to pay $30 for one passenger car like this?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/bac/bac13248.htm
I finally started on building my first layout!!!

ABC

I wouldn't pay more than $20 or so for it, but that is just me.

Michael T.

Thanks for your opinion.

Jim Banner

That is a hard question to answer.  I would not pay anything for it because it does not fit the theme of my railroad.  But the next guy might be willing to pay full MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) because he wants it badly to complete a train on his railroad.

Looking at it another way, the street price is usually between 1/2 and 2/3 of the MSRP which for this car would be between $21 and $28.  If it is new on the market, it often goes for a bit more but if someone is clearing out old stock which is no longer in high demand, then it goes for a bit less.

Bottom line, only you can decide what it is worth to you.  And if you are comparing that price to the price at a local hobby shop, don't forget to add in the cost of shipping.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Michael T.

ebtnut

Well, Bachmann lists the MSRP at $42.00, so $30.00 is a good deal, if you want the car.  The question would be shipping costs.  If they charge $10.00 for shipping, then you're probably better off just buying it at list at your LHS. 

Michael T.

Well I got two of them yesterday for $65. This includes shipping. I would of got them for $84 at normal price. So I got a good deal.... problem solved. Thanks guys

- Michael

Michigan Railfan

I'd buy it if I had some cars to match it. I think it's a good deal

Doneldon

Michael -

Thirty dollars represents about a 30% discount from list which is a fair price for current merchandise.  You could check ebay and some online hobby shops for a better price but be sure to include different shipping costs in your comparisons.

-- D

Michael T.

gerakliuss