information on a williams train

Started by bigdodgetrain, June 12, 2010, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

Quote from: 3rail on June 17, 2010, 04:37:35 PM
Hi Joe,

That history could take me some time to research to give you dates, but here is a brief history.

Electronic Horn - 1st sound basic oscillating circuit that sounded like a buzzer.  You could adjust the pitch and frequency of the sound, but not the volume.

True Sounds - Installed as an option in Diesel and electric dummy units. Also available as separate sale kit. The board was large so it was difficult to fit inside most powered units.  The sound chip was discontinued without a direct replacement around 2001 or 2002.  A special version was also installed in a passenger car that has train station sounds (These were produced one year only) .

True Blast - single digital sound unit.  Horn for diesels, whistle for Steamers, and a bell version was installed in the first run of the NW-2 switcher.  Installed first in BL-2, FA-1, E-7, Scale Hudson, and NW-2. Replaced electronic horn as basic equipment and sold separately.

True Blast II - Digital Horn & Bell or Digital Whistle and Bell.  Replaced True Blast as basic equipment and sold separately.

FYI. QSI sound was never factory installed equipment this was a dealer installed option or available in units sold by QSI.

Regards,

3rail

3rail,

My question for you is about the QSI sound boards, and that is who installed these? I have two F-7 B units, one is a Santa Fe and the other a Pennsy, with the QSI boards and they both are in the same place, looks a like a factory installation to me.
Is it possible that these were sent out to QSI and then returned for sale with the QSI sound board installed?

Lee F.
My Williams dealer never mentioned who installed the QSI board.

trainkrzy

I purchased a SD-45 some time back that came in a box that looks like Williams, but without any logo. It has a sticker on the end that says "QSI Santa Fe SD-45. " All the handrails and add-ons are in a plastic bag. Compared to my Williams SD-45 it is a exact copy, except no logos anywhere on or in the unit, nowhere. I wonder who actually made the components.

bigdodgetrain

I found the light as stated at radio shack.

Now does anyone know where I can find some passenger car diaphragms, that are in stock?

This place has some under the k-line part number K4500-04-01 for 1.25 each but I haven't heard back and other sites I have found say out of stock.

http://www.mikestrainsandhobbies.com/nav.html

MTH has some that list for 3.00 each, I need 14 of them.

bigdodgetrain