Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams 773.

Started by AG, June 14, 2010, 08:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Satnik

Dear 671,

Thanks for the mention.

Your Dallee circuit is yet another clever upgrade to my basic "Throw diode pairs at the problem". 

The diode bridge provides the terminals to solder the extra single diodes to.   

(Much less shrink tubing of wires and diodes.)

The extra diodes soldered in the middle of the bridge are twice as effective in dropping voltage, as they only need to be in one direction, not a back to back pair. (Something clever I had missed at the top of this thread).

Here is your Dallee link:

http://www.dallee.com/PDFs/MotorDiodeDrop.pdf

Any extra diodes would be added in series (and in the same arrow direction) with the diode wired in between the bridge in the Dallee pdf. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hi Joe,

The bridge rectifier that I have used is available from Radio Shack. It is Eight (8) amp rated. It looks like a small table top with four legs, one in each corner.
         I have found that it uses the least amount of space. I would then solder two additional single six amp as per the Dallee wire diagram. You can make a very compack package out of the entire unit. Mount the 6 amp diodes between the "table" legs and heat shrink as needed.
         I believe ( if my memory serves me right) that the 2056 semi-scale Hudson had a "well" below the circuit board that the 8 amp table style bridge rectifier fit perfectly into. Table top down ...legs up.
         The 8 amp was easier to work with shape wise.

Hope this helps...671

Joe Satnik

Dear 671,

Great info. 

Please give the Radio Shack part numbers that you used.

I'm guessing RS 276-1181 for the bridge, (8A, 400V)

and RS 276-1661 for the single diodes (6A 50V 4-pack).   

How many wires are in the tether between the loco and tender?  (Count connector pins?)

Do you know the purpose of each wire?

Looks like there are different steamer setups,

as the diagrams in the Product References section show the Girls 2-6-4 and the Berkshire 2-8-4 steamers have no tether at all. 

(There are pickups on both loco and tender, reverse board in loco, sound board in tender.)

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Hi Joe,

Those are the correct part numbers from Radio Shack. 276-1181 Bridge Rectifier (8 amp), 276-1661 (pkg of 4 ... 6amp rectifiers).

The "True Blast and the Electronic directional control boards" are both within the tender.

Within the "773" loco is the voltage reduction / stabilization circuitry for the light and smoker.

The other steamers IE. semi-scale Hudson, S2 Turbine, Berkshire, have the directional control board within the loco...True blast within the tender.

Thanks...671