52' Center-Depressed Flat Car radius information

Started by Binderchk, June 14, 2010, 01:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binderchk

Hello.
I was wondering if these center depressed cars will make an 18" Radius turn. I bought one from Walthers, nice product but the wheels hit the center sill under the car and cause it to derail. Does the Bachmann car make these sharper radius?

Thank
Binderchk

ABC

Speaking in generalities for 18" radius stick to 40 feet or shorter and only 4 wheel trucks as cars in excess of 40 feet or with 6 wheel trucks can have issues, but the Bachmann 52' Depressed Flat cars would be okay on 22" radius for sure. I have a couple and can check how they run on 18" radius if you want.

Binderchk

ABC

I set up some old 18 and 22 inch radius track, they'll run perfectly on 22" radius, but they bind some on the 18" radius.

jward

is the binding due to the corners of the cars hitting on the curve? if so, you could replace the couplers with ones with a longer shank. or is the binding due to the wheels hitting the underframe. if so, you might be able to cut away enough of the underframe to clear the wheels.

50 foot cars should be able to operate on 18" radius with little modification if any.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ABC

When I checked for him, the wheels were hitting the underframe.

Doneldon

ABC -

I suppose the underframe could be modified but I don't think that's an especially good alternative.

-- D

ABC

Well it doesn't affect me because my minimum radius is no sharper than 24" anywhere and 30" on my mains.