News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

just a thought...

Started by jettrainfan, June 15, 2010, 07:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrainfan

I usually come up with strange ideas but i don't think this one is too original. Pretend diesels came out first and then electric was a bit of a failure in ways and steam dominated both and ran today, would we prefer the diesels sense they came first? Would the same be with electric?

just a thought... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jward

i think we always prefer the unusual.

i came of age in an era when sd40-2's were new top of the line power, and most railroads ran gp9s by the hundreds. our unusual and sought after locomotives were alco's especially rs3s, and f7s. to the generation before mine, these same alcos and f7s were common as mud, and mainline steam was the stuff they tracked down. and the generation before that had no use for 4-8-4s or 2-10-4s, but tracked down 4-4-0's and 4-6-0s.......

to-day, railfans go nuts over solid sets of sd40-2s which are becoming rarer by the day........

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

I like steam engines because of the mechanical aspect, they are more Interesting for me to watch, I know others that love diesel and some that love the high speed electric, I think it is more of a personal choice then which came first, but then there is the fact that as a kid nearly all electric trains available were model steam engines

NM

Doneldon

Give me steam engines.  They are living, breathing beasts, unlike diesels, which specialize in stinking up the joint with their exhaust, or electrics which are just bigger versions of our toy trains.  Yessir, it's steam for me.  I love the sounds, the aroma and the complex action in the drive system.  And they have real whistles and bells.
                                                                                -- D

jward

diesels aren't living beasts? obviously you've never spent time around first generation alcos. they seem to take on a life of their own, especially sitting there in idle. the newer general electrics can also scare the crap out of you, they will actually start and shut themselves down to maintain brake line pressure, even when there are no crews around for miles.......

come to think of it, most types of diesels have their own personalities.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

I like them all.  Makes it hard to build a layout with 115 years worth of railroad history on the roster.  Everyone wants a turn to run--no matter what era is represented by the scenery.  Prototype shmototype.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Guilford Guy

ALCo's are certainly human... Ever try to convince one not to smoke?
Alex