Flat Car Length & Curve Limitations

Started by Cyber480, June 14, 2010, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber480

Thanks, again, Blink_182_Fan.  You must have missed my earlier reply, to you. The caboose looked nice, just needs repainting. I Did notice the water car, while looking at the caboose. I thought, if the tanks are removable, that I could easily convert them to "boilers". As for your 4-4-0, what about the Bachmann DCC with, or without, sound. It is available unlettered with steel, or wood cab. You could also use another road name, and re-decal the locomotive. The 4-4-0 is even available in their standard DC model. Thanks, again, for the suggestions.

Doneldon

Cyber -

Welcome to model railroading and the Bachmann discussion boards.  I know you'll find a lot of good information here.

Your choices of locos sounds pretty good but I'd consider 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 wheel arrangements if you expand.  The 4-4-0s were extremely common, even at the turn of the century, and 2-6-0s were widely distributed though their service life wasn't so long.

For rolling stock I'd consider old timer types, short, wooden cars exclusively.  These will have truss rods and short wheel bases.  There are several manufacturers who make plastic versions of both freight and passenger cars.  If you could eliminate those 15" curves, or operate passenger trains only on more broadly curved sections, you could go to 60' passenger equipment.  I think you'd like the look of those.  Also, you don't have to keep to Bobber cabooses.  There are some which are short enough to clear your curves but still have two trucks.  Another caboose to consider is a drover caboose.  These were dual function cabooses with a small passenger compartment.  They were intended for drovers accompanying livestock to market but they would do just fine as passenger accommodations on a short, mixed-consist train.

-- D

Cyber480

Thanks, D, The Bachmann 4-4-0 was my second choice for a DCC with sound. After looking at closeups of the 4-4-0, and the 4-6-0 I just preferred the 4-6-0 looks. This being my FIRST train I went for looks, rather than true prototype. I couldn't find any information on performance comparison... but had never heard of this discussion board. I recently went to a Train Show, out here, in Arkansas and all these die-hard enthusiasts had very little good to say about the Bachmann product. Again, being new, I went with this product because of price, selection, and overall looks. Maybe the product won't hold up to 8 hours a day running, but if a $130 DCC locomotive, with sound, should fail after a couple of years, I'll just buy another. Those $500 to $1,000 prices scare me. Thanks, again, for the info. 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Cyber480 on June 15, 2010, 04:40:22 PM
Thank You, Mr. J.B.J. for all that info.  As I mentioned earlier I'm new to this.  I'm not even sure I'm replying correctly. I have two Mantura D&RG coaches, everything else is Bachmann. I never heard of "Shoty's", or "Bobbers". I also haven't attempted a "kit" yet. I mainly wanted a flat car to haul "boiler". Bachmann has one on a depressed 52' car. I thought it would look appropriate for my layout (Durango & Silverton" Colorado) If I can't find a boiler, perhaps I could make one out of PVC or similar material. I saw a 40' flat car from another mfg. but, from the photo, the quality doesn't look near as nice as the Bachmann product.

Oops. Sorry. I just meant "shorty" to refer to very short cars, like the 26-ft. flat car ABC posted. A "bobber" is a little caboose with only four wheels--but you've probably figured that out by now.