Which metal wheels are better Intermountain or Branchline?

Started by ABC, June 14, 2010, 11:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABC

I can get 200 Intermountain brass wheels for $100 plus $6 shipping or 200 Branchline wheels for $90 with free shipping, so the price difference is $16. I've heard good things about both, so any information about either would be helpful. My main concern with buying the Branchline wheels is that they are .088 (which is the semi-scale) and don't know if that would cause problems with my code 83 track and Atlas #6 turnouts. Does anyone have any experience with the semi-scale .088 wheels? I am currently leaning toward the Intermountain wheels because they are standard size and should be more forgiving if I have any minor flaws in my track. Thanks in advance for any comments.

jonathan

ABC,

Overall, I have had good results from intermountain wheels.  There are a few exceptions.  The needle point axles are thin and spin well, but on some of the older trucks, they are too thin and fit too loosely.  Other metal wheels have thicker (or longer?) axle points and fit better in older trucks, like bachmann and Kadee wheels.  That's been my experience.

Haven't tried the branchline wheels.  Didn't know they sold them as parts.

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

ABC -

I don't know of any problems with either brand.  The flanges on the Branchline wheels won't cause a problem on Code 83 track as they are smaller than regular HO flanges but they could be a problem with turnouts as they might be small enough to let a wheel fail to be turned or sent straight.  I'd get a pair of the Branchline trucks, or just the wheels, and run a test.  It would be good if you have one of Micro-Mark's clear flatcars so you can watch the wheels pass through your turnouts.  That should give you a good idea of how they will perform on your layout.
                                                                        -- D

ABC

Thanks, none of my local hobby shops sell just Branchline wheels or trucks. They have Kadee, Jay-Bee, Proto 2000, Athearn, Atlas and Intermountain. The ones I have not heard anything about are the Accurail metal wheels (and axles). One of my local hobby shops does sell some Branchline kits, 6 are passenger car kits and 1 is a freight car kit, but none of them have the .088 wheels. I ultimately bought 100 Intermountain (standard) from my LHS and 200 Branchline (.088) from an online retailer. The only thing I can do now is wait and see.