News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hey Mr. Bach-man...

Started by Nick_Burman, June 16, 2010, 08:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d. calloway

That is how I have built my ET&WNC cars. The siding makes it easy,and the Bachmann frames and trucks make the cost easy too!  The boxcars are 32ft and 37ft long and the flat cars are the same. Even the hoppers are 28ft,I think?  D. Calloway

C.S.R.R. Manager

Lots of the Bachmann crew have been hanging out in Durango, learning how to work on Soundtraxx systems, or so they say.  But there are lots of interesting freight cars in the Durango yard...

Personally, I would like to see some larger and more detailed On30 freight cars, like the newer LS cars.

Manager

Royce Wilson

Idea....RGS plow flanger 2 or one of the many D&RGW flangers!

Royce

ChrisS

^^^^ excellent idea

while we're dreaming big, how about a rotary plow?

lvrr325

I think you could convert the original caboose into a neat little plow.  Just put a wedge blade on one end, a swing-out blade on the side opposite the angle of the wedge, and move the cupola to the end.  Freelanced, but it would look "right" -

Nick_Burman

re
Quote from: Dusten Barefoot on June 21, 2010, 01:16:08 AM
How'bout updating the whole lot. The larger locomotives could use a larger load. Not to sound rude, but I'm tired of the small train cars dwarfed behind my 4-6-0. I think larger more modern, but not too modern equipment is needed, and have them letterd ET&WNC/Linville, and the other new or old road names.

Rock On!
Dusten

If B'mann starts coming out with larger equipment I'll take my $$$$$ elsewhere. I really don't need nor want yet another 3000-series boxcar - which by the way, wouldn't take the 18" radius (and sharper) curves that most B'mann stuff takes with ease. Equipment size is good as it is, however you are right, it could get some better detail.

As for the Tweetsie stuff, the Gazette ran plans for one series of boxcars, they were (in height and width) smaller than the Bachmann boxcars, but longer - a sausage... :)

Cheers NB

d. calloway

The scratchbuilt cars I have builtfor the ET&WNC are either32ft or 37ft long,pulled behind the4-6-0,and run great on 18"inch,22"and 24"track. They  use Bachmann trucks and frames.The short cars are ok for freelance RRs,but most other narrow gauges still used larger stuff.Besides, I don't think Bachmann will discontinue the smaller cars just because they "may" make larger ones. Theres room for all. ;)        Dwayne Calloway

lvrr325

You know, if suitable data/drawings could be found, a Brooks or similar Porter 2-6-0 of the 1880 era would be a reasonable choice for a new locomotive.  They're 3-foot gauge engines, but very small, and would require few compromises to make them 30-inchers. 

Union Pacific, Denver & Gulf/Colorado Central had a number of these engines, which in turn had many secondhand owners.  The Ulster & Delaware (New York Central predecessor) had four on their Katterskill branch - when it was standardized, two went to a parallell road (Catskill Mountain Railway) and two went into the Adirondacks to a Delaware & Hudson RR predecessor.  One of the CMR engines lasted through at least 1910 out of service behind the enginehouse. 

I'm sure others from this group led a similarly colorful life after the UP sold them off. 

I know the Porter one there must be some sort of drawings, because Nitto of Japan did a static kit of one many years ago in 1/50th scale, which was imported and sold here by MRC in a series with a rickshaw, a horse-drawn streetcar, and a Concorde SST plane (yeah, ???) as the MRC-Nitto Transportation Series.  Size-wise in 1/50 it works out to almost exactly the same size as the inside-frame 4-4-0 - the tender is just about identical.  How much bigger it would be in 1/48 I haven't tried to figure out but I doubt it would be much. 

Royce Wilson

The reason we don't ask for the early model Brooks is because it will jinx the model like the heisler request did...maybe if we keep our fingers crossed. 8)
                                                                     Royce

Tomcat

Wise said, Royce... :) :) :)
No, I´m not going to mention the H-word again... ;) ;) ;)
Tom

Linzthom

I suppose it's a bit late for jinxing things this year concerning the H...r. We'll find out in a couple of weeks what we are getting this year. But, here's hoping !!!
I'm going to live forever; or die trying

lvrr325

Of course after I posted that, I found the info on those engines on Wikipedia conflicts what I have in the two books on the CMR and Ulster & Delaware - the info on Wiki only shows one western 2-6-0 coming to New York.  I suppose unless someone has the company records in their attic, no one will ever know for certain.

Woody Elmore

As someone who does research let me tell you not to use Wikipedia as a reference. The material comes from unknown authors and may be good or wrong. Also, it is possible for anyone to edit the listing. I advise my students to use Wikipedia only as a starting point. Look to see if the Wiki article has references then use those.