What do I need for DCC operation on N Scale EMD SD45's.

Started by papadan, June 17, 2010, 08:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papadan

I am new to this hobby and I am trying to get my Burlington Northern set up for DCC. I am just wondering what items I would need to do that. Please help!

Jim Banner

If your locomotives already have decoders installed (Bachmann calls this "DCC on board") then all you need is a DCC system.  Such a system consists of five major parts:
(1) a throttle.  This is the human/system interface which lets you tell the electronics which locomotive you want to run and what you want it to do.  Many systems allow additional throttles.
(2) a command station.  The command station is the "brains" of the system, converting the human input from the throttle into digital commands that the decoders in the locomotives can understand.
(3) a booster.  The booster amplifies the signals from the command station, adding operating power to the signals to power the locomotives.  It sends this power plus signal down the tracks to the trains.  For more power, more or larger boosters can be added.
(4) a power supply.  The power supply takes power from a wall outlet and converts it to a safe, low voltage form that can power the rest of the system, including the booster.
(5) a decoder.  The decoders in the locomotives receive power plus signal from the tracks and direct the power to operate the locomotive.  This includes run the motor at various speeds in both directions, turning lights on and off, and controlling sounds if the decoder has that capability built in.  Each decoder can be given a different address so that each locomotive responds only to the signals addressed to it.  In addition to locomotive decoders, there are switch (turnout) decoders, lighting only decoders, and so forth.

The simplest way to get started in DCC is to purchase a starter DCC set like Bachmann's E-Z Command.  This combines a throttle, a command station, and a booster into one convenient package that also includes push buttons to select which of nine or ten locomotives that the throttle will talk to at a particular time.  The booster section of the E-Z Command puts out enough power to operate about three silent locomotives or two sound locomotives at the same time.  To run more at the same time, a more powerful, external booster is available.  The E-Z Command comes with the necessary power supply for connecting it to a wall outlet.

If your locomotives already have decoders in them, the E-Z Command will get you started in DCC.  If your locomotives do not have decoders installed, then you will either have to have them installed or install them yourself.  There are small, very small, and unbelievably small decoders available so that most N-scale locomotives can have decoders installed in them.  And when there is just no room at all for a decoder, there are other solutions available.

The above is a very brief overview of DCC but is hopefully enough to answer your question and probably generate many more.  There are many of us who visit this board who are only too glad to answer.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

And you'll need your trusty soldering iron and some resin/flux/solder.

Doneldon

papadan -

May I suggest that you post N-gauge questions on the N board?  You'll get more gauge-specific information there and eliminate confusion about what size trains you run.  I'm thinking of another of your recent posts on this general board in which the responders gave  replies relevant to both HO and N.

-- D

r0bert

this thread shows how to install
the sd45 and dash 8 are the same,
I did both at the same time, and pics are mixed together.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7064.msg59523.html#msg59523