News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-0

Started by jerryl, June 18, 2010, 07:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryl

How dependable is the Bachmann 2-6-0 engine ( the one that comes with the train sets)   ? Thinking about getting into On30, along with my hO layout & Garden RR.

railtwister

Quote from: jerryl on June 18, 2010, 07:36:43 PM
How dependable is the Bachmann 2-6-0 engine ( the one that comes with the train sets)   ? Thinking about getting into On30, along with my hO layout & Garden RR.

It runs nicely for the average home layout using DC, but if you're interested in DCC, it lacks a DCC plug, and so is not offered with DCC on board or factory sound. It also suffers from not enough redundant pickup since the tender trucks are not wired, but if you are handy, you can fashion some pickups of your own. You will probably burn out the headlight very early in the game, but it can be replaced with a more tolerant light bulb rated for higher voltage and lower amperage so it won't get too hot and melt any plastic.  The 2-6-0 Mogul is the legacy Bachmann On30 locomotive that started On30's current popularity boom.

Regards,
Bill

jpipkin

Mine has been very dependable.  I converted it to DCC a few years ago and replaced the headlight bulb with an LED.  Never had any problems with the stock electrical pickup.

Jim

NarrowMinded

I have the a 2-6-0 from a set 138 bumble bee paint, it has run countless hours on a loop with an auto stop at a station it runs perfect and always takes off on it's own at the end of the timed stop. It also came with an LED headlight which has yet to fail.
This is my first 2-6-0 from a set and I am very happy with it.

Lastly it runs on straight DC.
NM

lvrr325

I have one from ~1998 that runs fine.  I recall that maybe the first run had an issue, a hobby shop I worked at supplied one to run on an overhead track in a store and it came back with some kind of failure, but they got it fixed under warranty.  That engine had been run by then a good 12 hours a day for several months, too.