having problems with out of the box spectrum 2-8-0s

Started by jimwindley, June 21, 2010, 06:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimwindley

Hi
I've just got my layout running again after a short respite, so I tried a batch of engines that I acquired during the shutdown.  Everything worked well except for two 2-8-0s. 

One seems to have gear slippage.  I can hear the motor running and occasionally the engine moves.  There is a nasty grinding sound and the engine stops moving again.  When I started it up initially, it ran perfectly for about 10 feet.  I've checked the linkages and there doesn't seem to be any jamming.

The other doesn't do anything.  There is no headlight or movement.  I checked with a voltmeter.  There doesn't appear to a short.  I tried another tender and that made no difference.

If this is home repairable.   I don't mind taking them apart.  However, I don't want to disturb the warranty in any way.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  Thanks
Jim

ABC

Try switching the wheels around on the tender for the one that doesn't move. Check all connections for both locomotives as one could be lose or touching something it isn't supposed to causing a short or other problems.

r0bert

send the grinder in for service.
for the other one, it sounds like the wire clip is loose.
You have to remove the loco shell, and there is a plastic clip that connects the motor and light wires to the chassis.
if that clip is loose, it's just a friction fit, then the loco will be dead, no light or motor.
the connie picks up power from both the drivers and the tender, so generally ir it's a motor issue, the light still works, no light clip is loose or something really bad happened.

jimwindley

Hi again!!

Well,  I fiddled with the noisy one a bit.  I discovered that if I pushed down on the cab roof the engine would move off slowly, very slowly and jerkily.  Then I put a very very tiny drop of oil on the motor end bearing, the one that shows.  I put a couple of very tiny drops of oil on the gears underneath.  It moved off again, quieter but still very jerky.  I put a good running engine behind it to push it a little.  I ran them around the loop, about 30 feet, a few times and then removed the pusher.  Miracle of miracles, now it runs fairly well.  It's still pauses a time or two, but the longer it runs the fewer the pauses.  Tomorrow I'll run it some more.  The other 2-8-0s that I own were never this bad at the start.  I'll try and run the hitches out and save the hassle with mailing it back  and waiting for it to come back.

Tomorrow, while the first one is breaking itself in, the no-go engine will have its shell off and the wires checked.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jim

seadowns

Hi!
You should check if the grinders motor holding screw is tightened enough to pull the motor down on the gear. If the motor worm has less contact to the gear it will give such grinding noise.
The screw is the rearmost at the underside if you turn the loco upside down.

Regards
Mathi

jimwindley

Mathi

Thanks

I'll try that.  It would fit the symptoms and the apparent solution.  The other engine, the one that doesn't run, had a very loose screw there and I tightened it.  As soon as I finish my morning coffee, I'll be heading down to the train room.  Every little bit of information makes a difference.

Jim

jimwindley

Back again

I went back to running the 2-8-0 and it was back to running jerkily again.  I tried a different tenderand it went much better. On checking the errant tender, I discovered that the draw bar connection spring was spread so I tightened that and  I noticed that the spring on the tender end was se t up with one side inside the tender point while the other was outside.  Next I put them both inside where they belong and now it works much better.  All in all, it still does not work all that well.  I hope that running it in will make the difference.

The dead engine I'm going to leave until I'm ready to install the decoder.  I'm sure that it is the loose connection under the little friction cap.

So, once again this group has help me solve my problems.  Thanks.

Jim

seadowns

Hi!

Did you try all the suggested tweaking tips for the spectrum 2-8-0 Con one can find here and in several other forums?
Loosening the frame and bottom screws just a very small 1/4 to 1/2 turn?

The non-runner has that cap to "stick" the uninsulated wire ends to the frame halves. If they provide no contact to the metal its easy to cure by bending it to the right place and put cap over it.

Regards
Mathi